Woodnet Forums
Trouble Shooting an Electrical Circuit - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Trouble Shooting an Electrical Circuit (/showthread.php?tid=7369283)

Pages: 1 2

Trouble Shooting an Electrical Circuit - Rick_B - 05-26-2022

I've got a circuit controlled by a GFCI outlet as the first device in the circuit.  Recently the GFCI outlet has been tripping (during stormy weather).  The circuit has 3 outlets in the basement, 3 external outlets and 2 external switch controlled overheads.  The GFCI isn't tripping every time it rains - just sporadically.

Is there a logical way to trouble shoot this problem to identify what is causing the trip?

Thanks

RE: Trouble Shooting an Electrical Circuit - srv52761 - 05-26-2022

A lot of things to consider.  What is plugged in to the outlets?
Are the switched outlets on?
Metal or plastic boxes?
Bad gfci?

Bummer that it is sporadic.

RE: Trouble Shooting an Electrical Circuit - srv52761 - 05-26-2022

Sorry, hit post instead of. Preview.
A lot of things to check.  But the rain thingy makes me think to check connections and weatherproofness of the exterior stuff first.

RE: Trouble Shooting an Electrical Circuit - Roly - 05-26-2022

(05-26-2022, 11:20 AM)srv52761 Wrote: Sorry, hit post instead of. Preview.
A lot of things to check.  But the rain thingy makes me think to check connections and weatherproofness of the exterior stuff first.

When it is dry try squirting a hose on one device at a time and hopefully one trips it if you don't see anything by looking at it or removing covers and look for signs of water.
Also if a box is filled with bugs and it gets wet it will trip .    Roly

RE: Trouble Shooting an Electrical Circuit - Rick_B - 05-27-2022

Thanks folks for the ideas.  its storming right now and the circuit just tripped.  I'm going to use this problem to map out this circuit s well as solving the problem.  I'll keep you updated.

RE: Trouble Shooting an Electrical Circuit - Rick_B - 05-27-2022

So today I decided to take Roly's advice and sprayed the exterior outlet boxes with the hose.  No trips.  Not sure what to do next - maybe open up the boxes and check all connections?

RE: Trouble Shooting an Electrical Circuit - JosephP - 05-27-2022

Could it be wind instead of rain tripping it?

RE: Trouble Shooting an Electrical Circuit - Rick_B - 05-28-2022

(05-27-2022, 07:12 PM)JosephP Wrote: Could it be wind instead of rain tripping it?

That's possible so probably a check of the connections is in order

RE: Trouble Shooting an Electrical Circuit - Roly - 05-28-2022

Try disconnecting part of the circuit, half way would be best and see if the first portion trips it.   That will narrow the search,  but being a intermittent fault makes it harder.  Remember to look in the basement portion also as water could be traveling down a conduit.    Look in the light fixtures also.  Roly

RE: Trouble Shooting an Electrical Circuit - Bob10 - 05-29-2022

(05-26-2022, 10:15 AM)Rick_B Wrote: I've got a circuit controlled by a GFCI outlet as the first device in the circuit.  Recently the GFCI outlet has been tripping (during stormy weather).  The circuit has 3 outlets in the basement, 3 external outlets and 2 external switch controlled overheads.  The GFCI isn't tripping every time it rains - just sporadically.

Is there a logical way to trouble shoot this problem to identify what is causing the trip?

Thanks

GFCI's wear out there is a good chance that is your problem.  Is there a pump or something else that cycles when it rains?  
Heavy load wears them out