Woodnet Forums
sparky question - two appliances on one double pole breaker? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: sparky question - two appliances on one double pole breaker? (/showthread.php?tid=7369559)

sparky question - two appliances on one double pole breaker? - mound - 06-15-2022

just a curiosity here..

I was looking for the breaker for my microwave (1990's kitchen) and found it on a 20amp double pole breaker in the panel. Confused, thinking why on earth would the microwave be 240v, I looked closer, and found that both the microwave and dishwasher are powered by this one breaker. The microwave on one 120v leg, the dishwasher on the other.  They don't seem to share 12/3 cable, just both landing at the same double pole breaker. 

Why would somebody have done this?  Why not two single pole breakers? They weren't trying to save on a conductor by sharing a cable or neutral. I can't envision a need to disconnect (or trip) both the microwave and dishwasher at the same time.

RE: sparky question - two appliances on one double pole breaker? - Roly - 06-15-2022

(06-15-2022, 09:53 AM)mound Wrote: just a curiosity here..

I was looking for the breaker for my microwave (1990's kitchen) and found it on a 20amp double pole breaker in the panel. Confused, thinking why on earth would the microwave be 240v, I looked closer, and found that both the microwave and dishwasher are powered by this one breaker. The microwave on one 120v leg, the dishwasher on the other.  They don't seem to share 12/3 cable, just both landing at the same double pole breaker. 

Why would somebody have done this?  Why not two single pole breakers? They weren't trying to save on a conductor by sharing a cable or neutral. I can't envision a need to disconnect (or trip) both the microwave and dishwasher at the same time.

Only reason I can see is they had the two pole breaker and not two single poles.  Roly

RE: sparky question - two appliances on one double pole breaker? - mound - 06-15-2022

hah, simplest reason is probably correct.  Is that seen as lazy or hackish these days?

RE: sparky question - two appliances on one double pole breaker? - crokett™ - 06-15-2022

(06-15-2022, 10:56 AM)Roly Wrote: Only reason I can see is they had the two pole breaker and not two single poles.  Roly

This.  I've seen a 120V device wired to one leg of a 220V circuit  using  the bare ground as the neutral.

RE: sparky question - two appliances on one double pole breaker? - fredhargis - 06-15-2022

(06-15-2022, 11:53 AM)mound Wrote: hah, simplest reason is probably correct.  Is that seen as lazy or hackish these days?

Probably, they could have at last broke that handle tie between the breakers.