Woodnet Forums
Curly Maple Source? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Curly Maple Source? (/showthread.php?tid=7370096)

Pages: 1 2

Curly Maple Source? - Mike 55 - 08-01-2022

Hi all,

I'm in need of a primo curly maple place. I will be heading up to PA from SC in a few weeks. I know of one place that may have a good selection, but no guarantee. Anyone know of a place?

Thanks,

Mike

RE: Curly Maple Source? - joe1086 - 08-01-2022

I've never been there but Hearne Hardwoods has a good reputation. About midway between Baltimore and Philadelphia. 

Some eye candy here: Hearne Hardwood

RE: Curly Maple Source? - joe1086 - 08-01-2022

Another place half hour off I-95 is Exotic Hardwoods in Annapolis MD. I've shopped here lots of times. Not a huge operation but they have nice material.

Exotic Lumber

RE: Curly Maple Source? - FS7 - 08-01-2022

Mike, I'm about ten miles off 95 (exit 152 in VA) and my supplier generally has very good stock. I was planning on heading down there to resupply this week or next (they're about 40 minutes from me) and if you're not dead set on hand-picking anything I can certainly get you a good amount. Their material is usually very good quality with great figure. I often use their "dollar bin" cutoffs and bargain boards (lots of wane or checking) for cutting boards and they turn out wonderfully. Their rack lumber is almost always excellent.

http://cpjohnsonlumber.com/lumber-prices/

RE: Curly Maple Source? - OneStaple - 08-01-2022

I've gotten some really nice stuff from Dunlap Woodcrafts in Chantilly, VA. They have a specialty in gunstocks (often primo curly maple), but also carry lots of boards and slabs, which is what I've purchased in the past. Not a huge operation, so it could be worth calling ahead.

Tyler

RE: Curly Maple Source? - Mike 55 - 08-01-2022

(08-01-2022, 08:53 AM)FS7 Wrote: Mike, I'm about ten miles off 95 (exit 152 in VA) and my supplier generally has very good stock. I was planning on heading down there to resupply this week or next (they're about 40 minutes from me) and if you're not dead set on hand-picking anything I can certainly get you a good amount. Their material is usually very good quality with great figure. I often use their "dollar bin" cutoffs and bargain boards (lots of wane or checking) for cutting boards and they turn out wonderfully. Their rack lumber is almost always excellent.

http://cpjohnsonlumber.com/lumber-prices/

I checked out their website and its worth the stop. I like picking my stuff as I know what I need. I'm building a curly maple/cherry dresser and Lingerie chest. I plan on coming up in two weeks. If you stop by before that could you check out the figue. I plan to call them before I leave.

Thanks,

Mike

RE: Curly Maple Source? - FS7 - 08-01-2022

(08-01-2022, 09:41 AM)Mike 55 Wrote: I checked out their website and its worth the stop. I like picking my stuff as I know what I need. I'm building a curly maple/cherry dresser and Lingerie chest. I plan on coming up in two weeks. If you stop by before that could you check out the figue. I plan to call them before I leave.

Thanks,

Mike

Will do. I'll be down there Thursday or Friday (I'm almost certain, anyway) and I will check out the quantity and figure.

RE: Curly Maple Source? - Aram - 08-01-2022

(08-01-2022, 07:38 AM)Mike 55 Wrote: Hi all,

I'm in need of a primo curly maple place. I will be heading up to PA from SC in a few weeks. I know of one place that may have a good selection, but no guarantee. Anyone know of a place?

Thanks,

Mike
I've gotten fantastic curly maple from Bob Kloes

Great guy.

RE: Curly Maple Source? - AHill - 08-02-2022

Does it have to be solid wood? There are plenty of places who sell primo curly maple veneer.

RE: Curly Maple Source? - Mike 55 - 08-02-2022

(08-02-2022, 05:53 AM)AHill Wrote: Does it have to be solid wood?  There are plenty of places who sell primo curly maple veneer.

Yes, I'm looking for solid wood. I'm not a great fan of veners. Plus I need draw fronts and I don't want to use banding. I think I have enough places to check out.

Thanks all. 

Mike