Woodnet Forums
Curly Maple Source? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Curly Maple Source? (/showthread.php?tid=7370096)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Curly Maple Source? - Hank Knight - 08-03-2022

I've had experience with both Hearne Hardwoods in Oxford PA and Duhlap Wood Products in Chantilly VA. I have gotten excellent curly maple form both and both are pleasant to deal with. I have purchased a lot from Hearne - they are my go-to hardwood dealer. My daughter lives in DC about 30 miles from Chantilly VA, so I thought I'd give Dunlap a try. I was impressed with their selection and I found what I needed there. Hearne carries a lot more stock than Dunlap so their selection is much broader, but Dunlap had some nice curly maple. If you call Hearne before you go there and tell them what you're looking for, they will pull a selection for you so you don't have to dig through their entire stock. If you don''t find what you're looking for in the selection, you're welcome to dig.

RE: Curly Maple Source? - Randy C - 08-03-2022

(08-01-2022, 08:53 AM)FS7 Wrote: Mike, I'm about ten miles off 95 (exit 152 in VA) and my supplier generally has very good stock. I was planning on heading down there to resupply this week or next (they're about 40 minutes from me) and if you're not dead set on hand-picking anything I can certainly get you a good amount. Their material is usually very good quality with great figure. I often use their "dollar bin" cutoffs and bargain boards (lots of wane or checking) for cutting boards and they turn out wonderfully. Their rack lumber is almost always excellent.

http://cpjohnsonlumber.com/lumber-prices/

FS7 
 Do you ever put together any small quantities of their bargain boards and sell them for cutting boards? I’m down south and as far as I know am not near any vendors that sell curly maple

RE: Curly Maple Source? - iclark - 08-03-2022

(08-03-2022, 01:55 PM)Hank Knight Wrote: I've had experience with both Hearne Hardwoods in Oxford PA and Duhlap Wood Products in Chantilly VA. I have gotten excellent curly maple form both and both are pleasant to deal with. I have purchased a lot from Hearne - they are my go-to hardwood dealer. My daughter lives in DC about 30 miles from Chantilly VA, so I thought I'd give Dunlap a try. I was impressed with their selection and I found what I needed there. Hearne carries a lot more stock than Dunlap so their selection is much broader, but Dunlap had some nice curly maple. If you call Hearne before you go there and tell them what you're looking for, they will pull a selection for you so you don't have to dig through their entire stock. If you don''t find what you're looking for in the selection, you're welcome to dig.

Dunlap is on my short list of must-visit-when-I-am-in-the-area. Large selection of 3x3 to 4x4 spindles in the 30"+ range at decent prices. Prices go up as you you get into the luthier-grade figured material. They typically have several bins of cut-offs that are priced inexpensively. I usually bring home about a grocery store shopping cart of cutoffs and a few spindles.

I only managed to visit Hearne Hardwood once so far because of the distance. The building with the main offices is a woodworker's dream. If you can get a tour, definitely take it. If you get on their mailing list, there are a couple of sale days a year. When I was there, I was cautioned that many of their employees are Amish and asked to be respectful about taking photos. Their display room for the highly-figured board-foot lumber was unbelievable. I remember a couple of examples of long-leaf pine that were unbelievably beyond my skill set.

RE: Curly Maple Source? - FS7 - 08-04-2022

(08-03-2022, 03:42 PM)Randy C Wrote: FS7 
 Do you ever put together any small quantities of their bargain boards and sell them for cutting boards? I’m down south and as far as I know am not near any vendors that sell curly maple

I certainly could, though it's not every time that I find curly maple in the bargain boards (either the dollar bin or the bargain section). Today, there was some spalted maple and cherry in the bargain section. The dollar bin was pretty much just firewood.

If you're interested I could certainly get you sufficient material for a cutting board or two.

RE: Curly Maple Source? - FS7 - 08-04-2022

(08-01-2022, 09:41 AM)Mike 55 Wrote: I checked out their website and its worth the stop. I like picking my stuff as I know what I need. I'm building a curly maple/cherry dresser and Lingerie chest. I plan on coming up in two weeks. If you stop by before that could you check out the figue. I plan to call them before I leave.

Thanks,

Mike

I was in this morning. The figure looks very good as usual.

[Image: 20220804-110940.jpg]
[Image: 20220804-110950.jpg]
Even better, there were only a few boards left on the rack, so that's what was already picked through and found wanting many times over. But they have at least two full skids stacked there.
[Image: 20220804-111338.jpg]
You'll be in good shape next week.

RE: Curly Maple Source? - Mike 55 - 08-04-2022

(08-04-2022, 02:57 PM)FS7 Wrote: I was in this morning. The figure looks very good as usual.

[Image: 20220804-110940.jpg]
[Image: 20220804-110950.jpg]
Even better, there were only a few boards left on the rack, so that's what was already picked through and found wanting many times over. But they have at least two full skids stacked there.
[Image: 20220804-111338.jpg]ou'll be in good shape next week.

Thanks for taking the pics. It looks really good as I can see the curly on the sides of the boards. Can't wait to go. With 2 pallets to look through I better bring lunch. 
Laugh

Thanks again.

Mike

RE: Curly Maple Source? - Martin S. - 08-07-2022

https://www.curlymaplewood.com

If you just need one or two boards, Kevin is a great guy and a good source.