Woodnet Forums
Handrail to basement - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Handrail to basement (/showthread.php?tid=7370099)

Pages: 1 2

Handrail to basement - gear jammer - 08-01-2022

I have about 10 ft of handrail with the angled brackets {4}. Concrete block walls going down. If I pick up some Tapcon screws will they be sufficient for mounting it?

RE: Handrail to basement - MKepke - 08-01-2022

(08-01-2022, 11:56 AM)gear jammer Wrote: I have about 10 ft of handrail with the angled brackets {4}. Concrete block walls going down. If I pick up some Tapcon screws will they be sufficient for mounting it?

Could be..3/16 Tapcons are rated at 220 lbs in tension and 400 lbs in shear in lightweight block. Assume the worst case (tension). I’d use 3 handrail brackets, each with two screws..3x2x220 =~1300 lbs of pullout force.

Or recalculate for whatever size and QTY you plan to use.

-Mark

RE: Handrail to basement - srv52761 - 08-02-2022

Probably.  But I sometimes have had issues with concrete crumbling both during installation and from vibration during use.

Another option is to drill to fit and then use an expoxy made for anchoring into concrete.  Pricey, but effective.

RE: Handrail to basement - 6270_Productions - 08-02-2022

I had a similar issue when installing a hand rail to my parent's basement.  The truth of the matter is they should not have been going up and down those steps anyway, but what are you supposed to say to Mom when she wants you to do something for her?

Anyway there was no "wall" to mount the handrail too.  It was just a couple posts to hold up the floor and an open set of stairs.  (Think old farm house.)  My solution?  Install a new 2x4 "structural member" between the posts and then attach the hand rail to it.

'cuz you know 12 feet of hand rail with a support on each end was a No Go.

End result?  Yep, it worked like a champ.  Everybody was happy, but that was many years ago and Mom does not go up and down the steps anymore.
Sad

RE: Handrail to basement - brianwelch - 08-02-2022

Install a new 2x4 "structural member" between the posts and then attach the hand rail to it.
Exactly what I did, but spaced/padded the 2x4 off the floor joist and portion of wall at the top of the stairs and rounded the edges over with a radiused bit...didn't even consider an additional railing as the stairway was already pretty narrow...

RE: Handrail to basement - Snipe Hunter - 08-03-2022

These make life so easy. No more loose handrails. You'll still need to set anchors in the concrete wall.

Do the two ends first. Then put the middle ones in.

RE: Handrail to basement - Willyou - 08-06-2022

I'm no engineer, but I don't trust the concrete blocks not to crumble when drilling multiple holes close together as you will need to do for the brackets. You might consider mounting a 2x4 to the wall with anchor bolts spaced about 2' OC and then mount the handrail brackets onto that.

RE: Handrail to basement - 6270_Productions - 08-06-2022

Is there an echo in here?

Winkgrin

RE: Handrail to basement - Snipe Hunter - 08-07-2022

(08-06-2022, 05:38 PM)Willyou Wrote: I'm no engineer, but I don't trust the concrete blocks not to crumble when drilling multiple holes close together as you will need to do for the brackets. You might consider mounting a 2x4 to the wall with anchor bolts spaced about 2' OC and then mount the handrail brackets onto that.

Diamond drills will cut nice clean holes without the problems associated with masonry bits. It takes a little finagling to get them started. You can get them started by making a shallow hole with a masonry bit and then switch over to the diamond bit.

Link

RE: Handrail to basement - Willyou - 08-07-2022

(08-07-2022, 07:24 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Diamond drills will cut nice clean holes without the problems associated with masonry bits. It takes a little finagling to get them started. You can get them started by making a shallow hole with a masonry bit and then switch over to the diamond bit.

Link

I don't disagree, but for brackets that need two holes close together like these:
https://www.amazon.com/Ives-Schlage-059A10B-Hand-Bracket/dp/B003F37M0U/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1EJU571WX2JD6&keywords=handrail+bracket&qid=1659894912&sprefix=hangrail+bracket%2Caps%2C275&sr=8-5
I get concerned.