Woodnet Forums
Lathe Problem - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Lathe Problem (/showthread.php?tid=7370664)

Lathe Problem - fptahoe - 09-18-2022

I have a problem with the tail stock on my Delta 1440 lathe.  I got the lathe for free from my brother several months ago and it has worked flawlessly up until a couple of weeks ago.  A couple of weeks ago, the wheel crank on the tailstock started getting harder to turn.  I was drilling yesterday and pushing the drill bit in with the wheel crank on tail stock, and it got quickly and progressively got harder to turn to the point where it nearly seized up.  I took it all apart, cleaned and lubricated the spindle screw, the quill, the lock, and the cylinder of the tail stock.  Put it back together and same problem to the point where I couldn't even use the wheel crank to pull the spindle screw and pull out of the tail stock; I had to use channel locks with an enormous amount of force to get the two of them separated.  I cleaned everything again today, and I can get the spindle screw in only about a half of an inch, rather than the six inches it should screw into.  

I am new to woodturning but this seems like a weird problem to me.  I thought maybe the spindle screw and/or the quill became stripped, but I see wear and tear on the threads, but no damage.  I am stumped so any suggestions would be appreciated.  I have "caught the bug" so I will have to shop for a new lathe if there is not a solution.  I have not been able to find parts anywhere on the internet for these old Delta lathes.  Thank you as always...

RE: Lathe Problem - Arlin Eastman - 09-19-2022

First check the turn lock at the top or side of the quill it might have been turned to tight, if that is not the problem then take it apart and clean and lube it.

RE: Lathe Problem - fptahoe - 09-19-2022

Thanks for the reply, Arlin.  I have done all that already (did before I posted on here yesterday).  I am stumped.  

Since everything else seems to be fine, I am wondering if I can get another quill and spindle screw that will fit the Delta tail stock.  I hate to think the machine is done due to the tailstock problem.  Thanks again.

RE: Lathe Problem - FrankAtl - 09-19-2022

Seems like it has to be damaged threads on the spindle screw or damaged locking mechanism on the quill if it's that tight. Can you post a picture of the parts when it's disassembled?

RE: Lathe Problem - SceneryMaker - 09-19-2022

(09-19-2022, 01:21 PM)FrankAtl Wrote: Seems like it has to be damaged threads on the spindle screw or damaged locking mechanism on the quill if it's that tight. Can you post a picture of the parts when it's disassembled?

When my tailstock quill was too tight, I discovered that the handle was held onto the quill screw with 2 setscrews and was jammed into the body. When I took everything apart, the screw easily threaded into the quill when not in the tailstock body. Putting it back together with a little lash between the handle and body fixed it.

I would check:
1. Does the quill slide easily in the body with the screw removed?
2. Does the screw turn easily in the quill without the body?

RE: Lathe Problem - fptahoe - 09-20-2022

(09-19-2022, 08:29 PM)SceneryMaker Wrote: When my tailstock quill was too tight, I discovered that the handle was held onto the quill screw with 2 setscrews and was jammed into the body.  When I took everything apart, the screw easily threaded into the quill when not in the tailstock body.  Putting it back together with a little lash between the handle and body fixed it.

I would check:
1.  Does the quill slide easily in the body with the screw removed?
2. Does the screw turn easily in the quill without the body?
Thanks for you responses.  The quill slides fairly easily in the body without the spindle screw.  When outside the tailstock housing, the spindle screw will only screw into the quill about a half inch (instead of about 5") and then gets so tight, it can't be turned.  It must be damaged threads, but they don't look damaged at all.  I just can't figure out what else it could be.

RE: Lathe Problem - hairy - 09-20-2022

(09-20-2022, 05:41 AM)fptahoe Wrote: It must be damaged threads, but they don't look damaged at all.  I just can't figure out what else it could be.

Hold a straightedge against the threads. That will tell you if it is bent. Did you tighten the tailstock really tight?

RE: Lathe Problem - Arlin Eastman - 09-20-2022

(09-20-2022, 09:06 AM)hairy Wrote: Hold a straightedge against the threads. That will tell you if it is bent. Did you tighten the tailstock really tight?

I did that a while back on one of the mini lathes and tried reallllllllly hard to screw it out.  After taking it out I ended up putting it between centers and sanding it out.  Then had to sand the inside that has a big scratch in the metal from the quill.   
Slap

RE: Lathe Problem - MKepke - 10-17-2022

(09-19-2022, 01:21 PM)FrankAtl Wrote: Seems like it has to be damaged threads on the spindle screw or damaged locking mechanism on the quill if it's that tight. Can you post a picture of the parts when it's disassembled?

Sounds like it. If the OP can figure out which is damaged, might be solvable with running a tap or a die to clean up the threads.

Assuming it’s not just sawdust and grease packing the ram.

-Mark

RE: Lathe Problem - arthropod98 - 10-18-2022

(09-20-2022, 05:41 AM)fptahoe Wrote: Thanks for you responses.  The quill slides fairly easily in the body without the spindle screw.  When outside the tailstock housing, the spindle screw will only screw into the quill about a half inch (instead of about 5") and then gets so tight, it can't be turned.  It must be damaged threads, but they don't look damaged at all.  I just can't figure out what else it could be.

maybe the internal threading is boogered up a bit?  
Confused