Woodnet Forums
Chip carving - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Chip carving (/showthread.php?tid=7370692)

Chip carving - Timberwolf - 09-20-2022

By Tatiana...She could teach Wayne Barton a thing or two.......
Crazy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUcERgTIlw0

RE: Chip carving - AHill - 09-21-2022

Way advanced beyond my skills. I like how she keeps turning the platter to get the best angle for the cut. I don't think enough carvers do that. Instead, they'll try to approach a cut from an awkward angle and risk messing it up. Awkward cutting angles also induce a lot more fatigue into your hands.

RE: Chip carving - stav - 09-21-2022

Wow, very cool, but so tedious.  Not sure I could focus on it long enough to make any progress with something like that.

RE: Chip carving - Timberwolf - 09-21-2022

(09-21-2022, 06:57 AM)AHill Wrote: Way advanced beyond my skills.  I like how she keeps turning the platter to get the best angle for the cut.  I don't think enough carvers do that.  Instead, they'll try to approach a cut from an awkward angle and risk messing it up.  Awkward cutting angles also induce a lot more fatigue into your hands.
I like how she keeps turning the platter...

One of the first things that caught my eye..another thing was her choice of knife and the control she has with it. The way she holds it would be tiring to me..I think most chip carvers use blades shaped more like a hawk's beak. But her work is perfection, no doubt..

RE: Chip carving - rwe2156 - 09-21-2022

Anyone who's done it, turning the work is SOP in chip carving.

What is interesting is her technique. The use of a stab knife and pushing rather than pulling. Neat. Looks like she's custom ground the blade.

BTW, I took a class from Wayne Barton and sat 3 feet away watching him demonstrate. 90% of his cuts the chip popped with no clean up. Jaw dropping.........

RE: Chip carving - wmickley - 09-23-2022

(09-21-2022, 06:57 AM)AHill Wrote: Way advanced beyond my skills.  I like how she keeps turning the platter to get the best angle for the cut.  I don't think enough carvers do that.  Instead, they'll try to approach a cut from an awkward angle and risk messing it up.  Awkward cutting angles also induce a lot more fatigue into your hands.

In production carving we make as many cuts as we can before turning the work or repositioning the tool.

RE: Chip carving - bandit571 - 09-23-2022

Does Peter Follansbee still do that sort of work?

RE: Chip carving - Arlin Eastman - 09-24-2022

She sure did alot of work in 50 minutes

RE: Chip carving - TraditionalToolworks - 10-01-2022

(09-20-2022, 12:02 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: By Tatiana...She could teach Wayne Barton a thing or two.......
Crazy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUcERgTIlw0
Wow, that is pretty cool. I recently had Dave Jeske at Bluespruce Toolworks made a Sloyd Joiners Knife. The blade was made by an Amish blacksmith in OH I was told, and the handles are made out of African Blackwood to match a pair of dovetail chisels Dave made for me several years ago.

Previously I used a Stanley 10-049. Stanley calls it a <cough> pocket knife, but I called it a utility cutter. I saw a Cosman video years ago to round the tip so it's not sharp and will slice across fibers for doing layout of joinery. This sloyd knife will replace it and the Stanley has become my backup. I have a few different awls that I occasionally use to layout, but looking forward to using this sloyd.

One odd thing is the sheath, the orientation of the blade is opposite of what you would expect, and if I were to carry it on my right side, the blade faces forward. I poked the leather by putting it in the sheath the wrong way...even though it looks funny, it's really for left hand carry. My solution will be to make my own sheath out of leather. The Amish guy failed on the sheath, IMO, but the blade is beautiful.

If the video a similar type straight edge was being used. This narrow slim design works well for controlled cuts.
[attachment=44460]
[attachment=44459]
[attachment=44461]

RE: Chip carving - cbygeorge - 10-02-2022

(09-23-2022, 02:29 PM)wmickley Wrote: In production carving we make as many cuts as we can before turning the work or repositioning the tool.

Yes, all the turning wastes a lot of time.  Also, repeating all the same cuts allows less chance of a mistaken cut.  Watching her push the knife made me a little nervous.
 I think I will stick with the conventional knife.  Interesting pattern though!