Woodnet Forums
Have you ever finished a dining table with an oil finish? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Have you ever finished a dining table with an oil finish? (/showthread.php?tid=7370793)

Have you ever finished a dining table with an oil finish? - ®smpr_fi_mac® - 09-28-2022

Have you?

I'm contemplating using BLO on a walnut table for my own dining room. 

I know it provides just about zero "real" protection.  But it looks, and more importantly, feels so nice. 

How often have you had to repair it?  Do you regret it?  Was it worth it?

RE: Have you ever finished a dining table with an oil finish? - Blaine - 09-28-2022

You know you can put a more durable finish on over the BLO once it's cured, right? I've done this with most every project I've done. My go-to is General Finishes clear acrylic.

Oh, your use of BLO on walnut is also a favorite. I like a dark walnut and BLO darkens it nicely and can bring out some nice colors, particularly the oranges and reds of air-dried lumber.

RE: Have you ever finished a dining table with an oil finish? - ®smpr_fi_mac® - 09-28-2022

Oh yes, I'm aware that an oil poly or something similar can go over--I'm finishing a walnut table now with BLO and oil poly. 

I'm just wondering how terrible it is to live with a table that just has BLO on it.

RE: Have you ever finished a dining table with an oil finish? - jteneyck - 09-28-2022

(09-28-2022, 05:39 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Oh yes, I'm aware that an oil poly or something similar can go over--I'm finishing a walnut table now with BLO and oil poly. 

I'm just wondering how terrible it is to live with a table that just has BLO on it.

Really terrible.  Make some test panels and experiment with water, alcohol, clean it with soapy water, etc.  

John

RE: Have you ever finished a dining table with an oil finish? - Cabinet Monkey - 09-28-2022

Suggest you look into a hardwax oil like Osmo or Rubio.

RE: Have you ever finished a dining table with an oil finish? - jteneyck - 09-28-2022

(09-28-2022, 06:49 PM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: Suggest you look into a hardwax oil like Osmo or Rubio.

Both are stupid simple to apply but from my testing Rubio Monocoat is far more durable than Osmo Polyox, so RM is the one I'd go with.   

John

RE: Have you ever finished a dining table with an oil finish? - fptahoe - 09-28-2022

(09-28-2022, 08:24 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Both are stupid simple to apply but from my testing Rubio Monocoat is far more durable than Osmo Polyox, so RM is the one I'd go with.   

John

RE: Have you ever finished a dining table with an oil finish? - fptahoe - 09-28-2022

Not sure what happened to my previous post.  What I attempted to say was that I would agree with John and CM.  I would immediately forget about BLO and go Rubio Monocoat or Osmo (I have used both and use RM now for the most part).  It is indeed stupid easy and it looks great once you are done.  It is also stupid easy to fix if you have to fix it at some point in the future (which is likely).  Some folks complain about having to mix RM, but it is absolutely not an issue.  You can be precise by buying a couple of syringes on Amazon for $4.00.  Good luck.

RE: Have you ever finished a dining table with an oil finish? - ®smpr_fi_mac® - 09-28-2022

Oh yeah, the next table I'm building for a customer will have Rubio as the finish.  I was just curious about what life is like with an actual oil finish. 

Sounds like something I don’t care to experience!