Woodnet Forums
Dust Deputy DIY - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Dust Deputy DIY (/showthread.php?tid=7371884)

Dust Deputy DIY - crokett™ - 01-12-2023

I got one for Christmas. I haven't set it up yet.  It's the cyclone where you attach it to your own container, most common is a 5 or 10 gallon pail.  It has  2" inlet/outlet.  Most people hook them to a shop vac.  I am wondering if anyone has hooked one to a small (portable) dust collector with a 4" hose, or would it give better performance to just use all 2" hose with the dust collector.  Oneida says the unit is rated for 50-300 CFM of air.  I haven't checked the rating on my dust collector.  It's one of the small luggable ones.  I was hoping to be able to rig an attachment to the dust collector that the cyclone could ride on,  since it is already on wheels.   I am also wondering if the size of the container matters.  Could I use a large trash can for instance.

RE: Dust Deputy DIY - jteneyck - 01-12-2023

(01-12-2023, 09:01 AM)crokett™ Wrote: I got one for Christmas. I haven't set it up yet.  It's the cyclone where you attach it to your own container, most common is a 5 or 10 gallon pail.  It has  2" inlet/outlet.  Most people hook them to a shop vac.  I am wondering if anyone has hooked one to a small (portable) dust collector with a 4" hose, or would it give better performance to just use all 2" hose with the dust collector.  Oneida says the unit is rated for 50-300 CFM of air.  I haven't checked the rating on my dust collector.  It's one of the small luggable ones.  I was hoping to be able to rig an attachment to the dust collector that the cyclone could ride on,  since it is already on wheels.   I am also wondering if the size of the container matters.  Could I use a large trash can for instance.

I doubt the performance with a DC will be anywhere near as good as with a shopvac.  The Dust Deputy type cyclones are designed with a 2" inlet to be compatible with high static, low flow shopvacs.  DC's are low static, high flow systems.  They need large hoses to get the high flow needed for them to move the sawdust.  I predict disappointment.  

John

RE: Dust Deputy DIY - crokett™ - 01-13-2023

ok thanks. I will probably test it out anyway. It is the cost of a few fittings to adapt the 4" hose to the dust deputy.

RE: Dust Deputy DIY - crokett™ - 01-14-2023

Well I set it up with the shop vac, at least for now. I put a new filter in the shop vac and tested it by vacumming up sawdust from around the tablesaw and lathe. I was impressed. The filter looked new in the shop vac. I did a few minutes of testing with sanding on the lathe and the filter looked really clean. I will recheck it tomorrow after the sanding session today sanding out 2 bowls. If it slows down the clogging of the shop vac filter it's worth it. I will probably ductape the hoses to it and get another set of shop vac hoses. The bucket also wants to tip over. I was thinking about using one of my empty trash cans if I Can figure out an airtight lid for it.

RE: Dust Deputy DIY - kurt18947 - 01-16-2023

(01-14-2023, 04:56 PM)crokett™ Wrote: Well I set it up with the shop vac, at least for now.  I put a new filter in the shop vac and tested it by vacumming up sawdust from around the tablesaw and lathe.  I was impressed.  The filter looked new in the shop vac.  I did a few minutes of testing with sanding on the lathe and the filter looked really clean.  I will recheck it tomorrow after the sanding session today sanding out 2 bowls.    If it slows down the clogging of the shop vac filter it's worth it.  I will probably ductape the hoses to it and get another set of shop vac hoses.  The bucket also wants to tip over.  I was thinking about using one of my empty trash cans if I Can figure out an airtight lid for it.

I too am sceptical about using a dust deputy intended for use with Shop Vac type machines with a high flow low static pressure machine. It would be like using a real good high pressure washer to fill a livestock watering tank. Yeah, it'll do it - eventually - but it's not the best tool for the job. One thing I will recommend is Shop Vac hose from Peachtree. It's more flexible than most shop vac hose but will still flow air at full rate if one end is blocked. Available in 10, 20 & 50 foot lengths. Here's the screw end adapter for the above hose: hose adapters about half way down the page.

RE: Dust Deputy DIY - crokett™ - 01-16-2023

Thanks. I ordered some of the clear 2.5" hose and the adapters.

RE: Dust Deputy DIY - jteneyck - 01-16-2023

(01-16-2023, 11:30 AM)kurt18947 Wrote: I too am sceptical about using a dust deputy intended for use with Shop Vac type machines with a high flow low static pressure machine. It would be like using a real good high pressure washer to fill a livestock watering tank. Yeah, it'll do it - eventually - but it's not the best tool for the job. One thing I will recommend is Shop Vac hose from Peachtree. It's more flexible than most shop vac hose but will still flow air at full rate if one end is blocked. Available in 10, 20 & 50 foot lengths. Here's the screw end adapter for the above hose: hose adapters about half way down the page.

Think about that just a little.  If you block one end there will be zero flow.  Full static pressure, but zero flow.  

John

RE: Dust Deputy DIY - thewalnutguy - 01-23-2023

At one time I'd contemplated putting a separator on my wide belt sander ahead of a Dust Gorilla dust collector to reduce clogging of the filters in the Dust Gorilla. I sent an email to Oneida for their thoughts on doing this, and they recommended using a Super Dust Deputy rather than the models designed to be used with shop vacs. Makes sense, as the Super Deputy handles larger air flow. The problem I ran into was the space required for the Super model with its larger drum, and I never got around to following through with my idea. 
I later did get a Dust Deputy to put ahead of the vacuum and collection bag of my central vacuum for the house. The problem I was having with the central vacuum was its clogging with dog hair. Australian Shepherds do shed a LOT. I couldn't be happier with the performance of the Dust Deputy, it seems to be trapping almost all of the dog hair, and I haven't had to check the central vacuum's vacuum separator or collection bag in over a year.