Woodnet Forums
Bowl Scrapers - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Bowl Scrapers (/showthread.php?tid=7371995)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Bowl Scrapers - crokett™ - 01-20-2023

Does anyone use them?  Do they cut down on sanding time?  I currently don't have a scraper, at least a decent one. I have one that I reground out of an old skew chisel but it doesn't really work well and it's too small for bowls.  I also have a carbide tool with a 1/2" round bit, but it doesn't work that well trying to use it as a scraper.  I am hoping with a proper bowl scraper I can level out the cuts left by the bowl gouge and be able to skip the first few sanding grits.

RE: Bowl Scrapers - Bill Holt - 01-21-2023

The bowl scraper is a huge help to me.  For me, I have to scrape as I go.  Thin, unsupported walls do not scrape well.  Reground skew is what I have.

RE: Bowl Scrapers - crokett™ - 01-21-2023

(01-21-2023, 08:25 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: The bowl scraper is a huge help to me.  For me, I have to scrape as I go.  Thin, unsupported walls do not scrape well.  Reground skew is what I have.

I found this excellent video from Robo Hippy. I think he used to be a member here:

WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION FOR BOWLS: SCRAPERS by Reed Gray aka Robo Hippy - YouTube

After watching this I will invest in a proper scraper or two at some point.

RE: Bowl Scrapers - Wipedout - 01-21-2023

I use scrapers. I have a really thick big sorby I love using.

Robo did. It's been awhille. Wonder how he is doing

RE: Bowl Scrapers - Arlin Eastman - 01-21-2023

(01-21-2023, 09:56 AM)crokett™ Wrote: I found this excellent video from Robo Hippy. I think he used to be a member here:

WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION FOR BOWLS: SCRAPERS by Reed Gray aka Robo Hippy - YouTube

After watching this I will invest in a proper scraper or two at some point.

I was lucky when robo hippy gave us his scrappers to use.  They stay sharp a whole lot longer then normal scrappers and when turned on the side they do shear scrapping as well.

If I was to buy some they would be well worth the price.

RE: Bowl Scrapers - crokett™ - 01-22-2023

(01-21-2023, 08:21 PM)Wipedout Wrote: I use scrapers. I have a really thick big sorby I love using.

Robo did. It's been awhille. Wonder how he is doing

I don't know.  His last video on his Youtube channel was 4 years ago.

RE: Bowl Scrapers - hairy - 01-22-2023

(01-21-2023, 08:21 PM)Wipedout Wrote: I use scrapers. I have a really thick big sorby I love using.

I don't do many bowls, but a good scraper is not a bad thing. 

I've been thinking about getting that big Sorby, but the Hurricane looks good at about half the price. I don't have that brand so I don't know if they are good or crap.

RE: Bowl Scrapers - Dusty Workshop - 01-23-2023

Robo Hippy retired

https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7366535

RE: Bowl Scrapers - PVW - 01-23-2023

(01-20-2023, 11:09 AM)crokett™ Wrote: Does anyone use them?  Do they cut down on sanding time?  I currently don't have a scraper, at least a decent one. I have one that I reground out of an old skew chisel but it doesn't really work well and it's too small for bowls.  I also have a carbide tool with a 1/2" round bit, but it doesn't work that well trying to use it as a scraper.  I am hoping with a proper bowl scraper I can level out the cuts left by the bowl gouge and be able to skip the first few sanding grits.

I use them all the time. Matter of fact I use scrapers more than any other tool. I start shear cutting with it as I near finished bottom

RE: Bowl Scrapers - crokett™ - 01-23-2023

(01-21-2023, 08:25 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: The bowl scraper is a huge help to me.  For me, I have to scrape as I go.  Thin, unsupported walls do not scrape well.  Reground skew is what I have.

Larger bowls with thinner walls I step turn.  I do the outside, then when I hollow the inside I step down the wall and from the rim and get each section down to finished thickness before moving on.  It helps cut way down on chatter.