Woodnet Forums
Bowl Scrapers - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Bowl Scrapers (/showthread.php?tid=7371995)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Bowl Scrapers - Arlin Eastman - 01-23-2023

(01-22-2023, 09:53 PM)hairy Wrote:  I don't do many bowls, but a good scraper is not a bad thing. 

I've been thinking about getting that big Sorby, but the Hurricane looks good at about half the price. I don't have that brand so I don't know if they are good or crap.

hairy

there is only a small difference between them and not as much cobalt in them.

RE: Bowl Scrapers - shoottmx - 01-24-2023

(01-22-2023, 09:53 PM)hairy Wrote:  I don't do many bowls, but a good scraper is not a bad thing. 

I've been thinking about getting that big Sorby, but the Hurricane looks good at about half the price. I don't have that brand so I don't know if they are good or crap.

Hairy,
Been using this set for about a year now, Not the most experienced guy around but IMHO they don't hold an edge all that long compared to the wood River round nose and square scrapers I have. Sharpening with a 120 grit CBN on a woodturners wonders rest set at 15*. If I'm working a piece that needs a lot of work I leave the grinder running and sharpen often. They are nice and thick--a little over 3/8" --so chattering isn't much of an issue.

[attachment=45994]

Gary

RE: Bowl Scrapers - iclark - 01-24-2023

One of our long-time turning club members advocated for decades the advantages of drop-nose scrapers. He made a convert out of almost every one of us that tried it/them.

I believe that it is Crown that sells the Glenn Lucas drop-nose scraper. It is among my go-to tools.

I also have some thick (~3/8") scrapers that I have picked up in used lots. That work well. I will get around to doing the drop-nose grind conversion on them sometime in the future.

RE: Bowl Scrapers - shoottmx - 01-24-2023

(01-24-2023, 05:34 PM)iclark Wrote: One of our long-time turning club members advocated for decades the advantages of drop-nose scrapers.

What is a drop nose scraper??

Thanks, gary

RE: Bowl Scrapers - iclark - 01-25-2023

(01-24-2023, 05:41 PM)shoottmx Wrote: What is a drop nose scraper??

Thanks,  gary

Surprisingly hard to find good images. It also turns out that there are at least 2 different interpretations.

In both cases, the top surface of the scraper is not flat all the way to the tip.

Instead, the last of the top surface is either:
- ground at a shallow angle at the edge to form a chamfer and a negative rake scraper. or
- ground with a step-down.

The step-down is the one that Myron Curtis invented.
[attachment=46008]
For scale, that is the end of a 1/4" square tool steel rod.

The negative-rake version is what they taught in our Turning 101 class.
The Glenn Lucas signature scraper is a negative rake scraper.
Here is a link to a pinterest video of making one.

Edited to correct: the Glenn Lucas negative rake scraper is made by Hamlet in Sheffield and not by Crown. Sorry.

RE: Bowl Scrapers - crokett™ - 01-25-2023

I have heard of negative rake scrapers. I've never tried one. After the replies in this thread and some other research I am going to invest in one.

RE: Bowl Scrapers - arthropod98 - 01-25-2023

looks like my rounded 1" skew!  
Big Grin

RE: Bowl Scrapers - shoottmx - 01-26-2023

......The step-down is the one that Myron Curtis invented.....

Geez, that looks aggressive!!

Gary

RE: Bowl Scrapers - crokett™ - 01-26-2023

(01-26-2023, 06:59 AM)shoottmx Wrote: ......The step-down is the one that Myron Curtis invented.....

Geez, that looks aggressive!!

Gary

If you want aggressive watch some of Richard Raffan's videos.  Although the guy is a production turner and they're all about speed.

RE: Bowl Scrapers - briman87 - 01-26-2023

(01-23-2023, 05:54 AM)Dusty Workshop Wrote: Robo Hippy retired

https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7366535

He is still active on the AAW forum