Woodnet Forums
Trying to help Arlin, might need a favor from a Powermatic 3520B owner - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Trying to help Arlin, might need a favor from a Powermatic 3520B owner (/showthread.php?tid=7372170)

Pages: 1 2 3

Trying to help Arlin, might need a favor from a Powermatic 3520B owner - FrankAtl - 02-07-2023

I'm in the process of setting up a new VFD for Arlin Eastman's Powermatic 3520B lathe. Since I have no way to verify the VFD will interface correctly with the controls on the lathe before shipping it to him, I will probably need some help verifying some of the parameters. Is there anyone who owns a 3520B lathe that would be willing to check some of the parameters on their VFD for me? Currently I would like verification on Group 4 parameters but I'll probably have a couple more. If you're not comfortable navigating the keypad on the lathe I will be able to help you.

I'm still working through the details but should have a complete list of what I need in a day or so.

Thanks!
Frank

RE: Trying to help Arlin, might need a favor from a Powermatic 3520B owner - hairy - 02-07-2023

(02-07-2023, 09:56 AM)FrankAtl Wrote: I'm in the process of setting up a new VFD for Arlin Eastman's Powermatic 3520B lathe. Since I have no way to verify the VFD will interface correctly with the controls on the lathe before shipping it to him, I will probably need some help verifying some of the parameters. Is there anyone who owns a 3520B lathe that would be willing to check some of the parameters on their VFD for me? Currently I would like verification on Group 4 parameters but I'll probably have a couple more. If you're not comfortable navigating the keypad on the lathe I will be able to help you.

I'm still working through the details but should have a complete list of what I need in a day or so.

Thanks!
Frank

I can't help you, but you're doing a good thing.

RE: Trying to help Arlin, might need a favor from a Powermatic 3520B owner - Arlin Eastman - 02-07-2023

One thing Frank is if all the wireing will match.  I am really dumb and know I can not figure it out so a local guy will have to so he would have to know what he is looking for.  hope I am saying it right

RE: Trying to help Arlin, might need a favor from a Powermatic 3520B owner - FrankAtl - 02-07-2023

(02-07-2023, 03:32 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: One thing Frank is if all the wireing will match.  I am really dumb and know I can not figure it out so a local guy will have to so he would have to know what he is looking for.  hope I am saying it right

Arlin, I'm drawing up a connection diagram for you using the wiring diagram in the PM3520B manual so I'll be able to include the wire colors as well as the terminal each one connects to. I got a little tied up with my day job the last couple of days but I hope to have the wiring documentation complete by tomorrow.

imapseudonym has offered (thanks buddy) to help me verify a few parameters I'll need to program the new drive so I'm hoping it will be a "plug-and-play deal"...famous last words but I'm hopeful! 
Laugh

RE: Trying to help Arlin, might need a favor from a Powermatic 3520B owner - Arlin Eastman - 02-09-2023

imapseudonym  Thanks for the help!

RE: Trying to help Arlin, might need a favor from a Powermatic 3520B owner - shoottmx - 02-10-2023

Here's a YouTube that may help---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bETq-OLSC4g

Gary

RE: Trying to help Arlin, might need a favor from a Powermatic 3520B owner - Cian - 02-10-2023

As a sidebar, it blows my mind how much these full size PM lathes cost nowadays. Yowza.

RE: Trying to help Arlin, might need a favor from a Powermatic 3520B owner - FrankAtl - 02-10-2023

(02-10-2023, 08:26 AM)shoottmx Wrote: Here's a YouTube that may help---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bETq-OLSC4g

Gary

Thanks Gary, I think this will be very helpful. I was having trouble following some of the wire colors using the manual and he shows them very clearly in the video. 

I appreciate all you guys helping me on this. I injured my hand a couple of weeks ago and found out yesterday that I need surgery. The surgery is this coming Monday so it may delay me finishing this for a week or so but I'm hopeful it will work. I just have to make sure I get everything correct since I don't have access to the lathe.

Frank

RE: Trying to help Arlin, might need a favor from a Powermatic 3520B owner - shoottmx - 02-11-2023

(02-10-2023, 01:05 PM)FrankAtl Wrote: Thanks Gary, I think this will be very helpful. I was having trouble following some of the wire colors using the manual and he shows them very clearly in the video. 

I appreciate all you guys helping me on this. I injured my hand a couple of weeks ago and found out yesterday that I need surgery. The surgery is this coming Monday so it may delay me finishing this for a week or so but I'm hopeful it will work. I just have to make sure I get everything correct since I don't have access to the lathe.

Frank

You're welcome, this vid popped up when I was looking for something totally unrelated. Interesting sometimes what YT thinks I want to watch.

Good luck with your hand and VFD repair!

Gary

RE: Trying to help Arlin, might need a favor from a Powermatic 3520B owner - jcredding - 02-11-2023

Frank - I have a 3520b so if you need something just let me know. Work’s really crazy right now but I can get out to the shop to answer questions. John