Woodnet Forums
Best way to attach pneumatic hose to barbed fitting? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Best way to attach pneumatic hose to barbed fitting? (/showthread.php?tid=7372215)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Best way to attach pneumatic hose to barbed fitting? - davco - 02-13-2023

(02-13-2023, 01:14 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: Unbelievable!  I live in the Dallas Fort Worth area; my local CarQuest does not stock any size, two major hardware stores do not stock them, Granger carries a different style at a ridiculous price.

At least I know there is a good solution; I will continue the search.  I want it today...but there is always Amazon.

Found this on Amazon, $4 my hose is 5/8" OD hope it works: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CONUI8?psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

RE: Best way to attach pneumatic hose to barbed fitting? - firefighter - 02-13-2023

Do you yave a tractor supply or similar? Any place that services or supplies such parts would have it.

RE: Best way to attach pneumatic hose to barbed fitting? - EdL - 02-13-2023

(02-13-2023, 09:52 AM)Roly Wrote: Make sure the hose ID and fitting size match.  It should be hard to insert hose onto the fitting..  Roly

This. On occasion I've had to cut a small chamfer on the hose to get it started into the sleeve. Then turn and push, the sleeve is threaded on the id to help secure the hose.

Ed

RE: Best way to attach pneumatic hose to barbed fitting? - Bill Holt - 02-14-2023

(02-13-2023, 01:23 PM)davco Wrote: Found this on Amazon, $4 my hose is 5/8" OD hope it works: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CONUI8?psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

I saw that one, but it has 1/4" threads.  I have 3/8" hose (5/8" OD) and the quick coupling is 3/8".  I emailed Milton yesterday asking for the number of the fitting I need, haven't heard back yet.  I may end up buying a 1/4" threaded coupling and ordering the fitting you linked.

RE: Best way to attach pneumatic hose to barbed fitting? - davco - 02-16-2023

(02-14-2023, 09:20 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: I saw that one, but it has 1/4" threads.  I have 3/8" hose (5/8" OD) and the quick coupling is 3/8".  I emailed Milton yesterday asking for the number of the fitting I need, haven't heard back yet.  I may end up buying a 1/4" threaded coupling and ordering the fitting you linked.

That part did not work for me, the 5/8" OD hose was too loose in the female and the barbed end is not really barbed, it's just threaded

RE: Best way to attach pneumatic hose to barbed fitting? - MstrCarpenter - 02-16-2023

When it needed fix'n on a job site, here's what I did. Slide 1/2" copper pipe coupling onto hose. Insert hose barb (with or without quick connect attached) into hose. Slide coupling up hose to desired location. 100% silicone caulk will lubricate and/or seal both the hose barb and coupling if necessary for assembly. A PEX crimping tool will work. If not available, clamp coupling in 5/8" opening of your flaring tool. It will clamp but it's not strong enough to crimp. Finish crimping the coupling with bench vice. (Or in my case; put it on the trailer hitch and whack it with a #3 sledge.) Now reconnect the hose to the tool and get back to work!

RE: Best way to attach pneumatic hose to barbed fitting? - tomsteve - 02-17-2023

if you have a napa nearby, you could take the hose up there and see if they can assist. if they cant they might know of a hydraulic/pneumatic repair shop locally thaqt can

RE: Best way to attach pneumatic hose to barbed fitting? - Bill Holt - 02-17-2023

My most sincere apology to davco for hogging his thread...but...

Thank you davco for the best question on WoodNet in umpteen years!!!!!!!!!!!

I am marking my calander to celebrate February 17 every year "The Reusable Hose End day"!!!!!!!!!!

Turns out Milton does not make one for 5/8" OD x 3/8" ID but Edge Industrial does.  Holy Cow!  Life is so good when you can remove the hose clamp!

Thank you davco and all the guys with wonderful suggestions.

RE: Best way to attach pneumatic hose to barbed fitting? - davco - 02-18-2023

(02-12-2023, 06:20 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: This is my favorite thread!!!!!!!

A couple of years ago the crimped ring on the air hose failed.  I know of no other solution...the hose clamp...I hate it! I keep it wrapped in plastic tape...it's terrible!  I use the hose a lot when working at the lathe.

I hope someone has a good suggestion.

Thank you, thank you Dave!!!!!!!!!!!!

Problem solved ( for me at least ) I bought an eight-foot whip of rubber pneumatic hose from Harbor Freight,  with 1/4" npt threads on each end.  Bought a 1/4" female to 3/8" male adapter and threaded that all in to my hose reel, no leaking anymore.  And better yet, no hose clamps! 

RE: Best way to attach pneumatic hose to barbed fitting? - KyleD - 02-19-2023

As a teenager I worked for a farmer that bought small airplanes that had expired air worthiness certificates. These planes usually needed a complete tear down inspection and then a rebuild. He farmed motors out but we did all the airframe work. I learned much. One thing I learned is automotive type worm screw hose clamps were not reliable and would not pass inspection. I learned to use a small tool that makes clamps out of stainless steel wire. There is a small learning curve to the tool but it is worth it. Here is a video that demonstrates how to use it.   https://youtu.be/wS-YO0W3v1Q. You can make the clamp as tight or as loose as you want it. 

The utube uses a double wrap but a triple or even quad wrap can be used if you are worried about it digging into the hose. Also, do not forget to use a needle nose to curve the wire into the hose a little before you seat it. This leaves a neat smooth installation that does not catch on things or poke your hands