Woodnet Forums
Finish for cherry - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Finish for cherry (/showthread.php?tid=7372538)

Pages: 1 2

Finish for cherry - Mike Brady - 03-13-2023

I haven't done a project in cherry for some time.  My daughter asked me to refinish a jewelry box that I made for her about fifteen years ago, so a began lightly block-sanding the imperfections in the current finish, today and am at the point where I need to decide on the new finish.  Fortunately, the light sanding did not remove that rich color that cherry acquires with age.  I most likely back then used Armor Seal mixed with turpentine, and applied with a cloth.  Is that still the way to go on cherry?  Any suggestions will be much appreciated.  I'll try to remember to post a photo when I'm done.

RE: Finish for cherry - rectangle618 - 03-13-2023

My favorite for cherry is 1/3 BLO, 1/3 spar varnish, 1/3 mineral spirits. The oil emphasizes the dark red cherry. What you used originally is probably almost the same thing.

RE: Finish for cherry - toolmiser - 03-13-2023

I like BLO followed up with poly as a top coat. I am not a finishing "guru". I do think the boiled linseed oil, warms the cherry up and gives it a nice color.

RE: Finish for cherry - rwe2156 - 03-14-2023

The last two pieces I used ArmRSeal over shellac. Think I like that better than oil.

RE: Finish for cherry - Philip1231 - 03-14-2023

The only finish I use on cherry:

[Image: 61op6huKd8L._AC_SL1000_.jpg]

RE: Finish for cherry - AHill - 03-15-2023

I've used BLO before, but it does take a long time to cure and can be blotchy. If you're going to use BLO, I recommend a light coat of sealing shellac (blonde, unwaxed shellac) prior to applying BLO. You'll need to wait for the red patina to naturally show up. I have a tool cabinet I made from cherry and it took about 2 years inside the shop for it to age to a beautiful, deep reddish-orange.

RE: Finish for cherry - iclark - 03-16-2023

(03-14-2023, 02:16 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: The only finish I use on cherry:

[Image: 61op6huKd8L._AC_SL1000_.jpg]

I've been curious about the Osmo finishes. Would this one be food-safe for a salad bowl?

RE: Finish for cherry - tablesawtom - 03-17-2023

I like Antique oil by Minwax. Comes in a red can. Has a lot of BLO but it dries and can be recoated in 24 hours.

Tom

RE: Finish for cherry - tablesawtom - 03-17-2023

All finish is food safe once it cures.

RE: Finish for cherry - iclark - 03-17-2023

(03-17-2023, 02:14 PM)tablesawtom Wrote: All finish is food safe once it cures.

As long as it does not dissolve or leach into oil, vinegar, or tomato juice.

I understand the traditional wisdom that you share.

I find myself in trust-but-verify mode for new-to-me types of finishes. Hence, my question about Osmo and its "high solid" in an oil-wax.

Yeah, I spent ~1/2 of my working career in a materials processing lab. Accidentally dissolving a hole through a lead p-trap may have made me overly safety conscious about solvents.
Rolleyes
Sigh