Woodnet Forums
spray foam insulation - dangers and downfalls - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: spray foam insulation - dangers and downfalls (/showthread.php?tid=7373075)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: spray foam insulation - dangers and downfalls - MichaelS - 06-02-2023

Rockwool is my pref, but tco/savings discussions go out the window. Need 20 yrs in the house to break even. Like solar
Sad

RE: spray foam insulation - dangers and downfalls - K. L. McReynolds - 06-07-2023

An observation: Companies/contractors often try to be on the forefront of new ideas, especially when those ideas are cost cutting or 'money saving'. Those folks often get very good at implementing said ideas.

That means a good percentage never go back to structures they build after the warranty period is past. So, they seldom actually see longer term problems. 

Home inspectors and repair folks see those problems all the time. But the word never hake an impact on the builders. Many of whom have already gone on to bigger/better(?) ideas.

RE: spray foam insulation - dangers and downfalls - jteneyck - 06-08-2023

On a bit of a tangent, what system can be used to add insulation to exterior walls in a house with a brick veneer exterior and 1" of fiberglass with Kraft paper in the stud cavities?  That's my situation.  The construction is brick veneer, air gap, tar paper, brown board with cross bracing on the studs, Kraft paper rolled fiberglass, drywall/plaster.   

If they went to the effort to install insulation, why wouldn't you fill the cavity?  Seems very short sighted to me, but I guess it made sense in 1961.  The only option that makes sense to me is to add some form of loose fiberglass from the inside, but how do you make sure you get it on the outside of the existing rolled fiberglass, or does that not matter, and how do you know the cavity is completely filled?  Anyone have a solution?   

John

RE: spray foam insulation - dangers and downfalls - EightFingers - 06-09-2023

A FLIR should show if it’s filled (or not).

RE: spray foam insulation - dangers and downfalls - jteneyck - 06-09-2023

(06-09-2023, 12:09 AM)EightFingers Wrote: A FLIR should show if it’s filled (or not).

Yes, as long as the weather outside is cold enough.  

John

RE: spray foam insulation - dangers and downfalls - EightFingers - 06-09-2023

You’re right, I should have said that. So maybe wait and insulate on a cold day?

RE: spray foam insulation - dangers and downfalls - MichaelS - 06-10-2023

Or a hot one - in tx, I could spot where insulation was thin pretty easily on a triple digit day - lol.

RE: spray foam insulation - dangers and downfalls - Snipe Hunter - 06-10-2023

(06-10-2023, 08:19 AM)MichaelS Wrote: Or a hot one - in tx, I could spot where insulation was thin pretty easily on a triple digit day - lol.

I don't use a Flir basically because if I lose it, I'm out a grand. A digital infrared thermometer can pick up anomalies pretty easily. Doesn't look as impressive in an inspection report so no Wow Factor. The downside of inspectors using thermal imaging cameras is that many of them don't have the training and don't know what they're looking at. They can screw up a RE deal real easily. I got called into a house an inspector said had wet walls all around the foundation because his TI camera told him so. The top of the basement wall was 3 ft above grade. This was a block wall. It's going to be cooler below grade in the summer. I put a $19.00 moisture meter on it and it was dry as a bone.

RE: spray foam insulation - dangers and downfalls - meackerman - 06-12-2023

I've seen a few inspectors that use the FLIR...oh this looks suspicious...then test with a moisture meter to confirm.   Seems the FLIR makes its easy to find suspicious areas and then you confirm things with another tool, like a moisture meter.

RE: spray foam insulation - dangers and downfalls - Snipe Hunter - 06-12-2023

(06-12-2023, 12:17 PM)meackerman Wrote: I've seen a few inspectors that use the FLIR...oh this looks suspicious...then test with a moisture meter to confirm.   Seems the FLIR makes its easy to find suspicious areas and then you confirm things with another tool, like a moisture meter.

That's really how it should be used. As a starting point