Woodnet Forums
A hackberry vase - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: A hackberry vase (/showthread.php?tid=7373848)

Pages: 1 2

A hackberry vase - SceneryMaker - 09-09-2023

This 13" dia x 14" tall vase was an experiment in using hackberry wood. That wood turned out to take a gouge quite nicely.

RE: A hackberry vase - Arlin Eastman - 09-09-2023

I like it and looks like your plywood ones also.

RE: A hackberry vase - Bill Holt - 09-10-2023

Segmenting is still a challenge for me; one day I'm sure I will enjoy some small form of success.  Hackberry is one of my favorite woods for bowels.  The figure/coloring is always a crowd pleaser!

Your piece is amazing.

RE: A hackberry vase - SceneryMaker - 09-11-2023

(09-10-2023, 04:18 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: Segmenting is still a challenge for me.

What is it that you're having trouble with? I find it easier than conventional one-piece turning. It's all in having a couple of jigs ahead of time.

RE: A hackberry vase - Bill Holt - 09-11-2023

(09-11-2023, 05:06 AM)SceneryMaker Wrote: What is it that you're having trouble with?  

Glue joint.  But recently we had a segmenting demonstration during a club meeting; I learned something I have not had a chance to try.

RE: A hackberry vase - SceneryMaker - 09-11-2023

(09-11-2023, 07:06 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: Glue joint.
The segment ends that make a ring or the ring faces where one ring meets another?

The trick to making a good ring is to make the total included angle of the segment very accurate. I typically use 12 segments per ring so the included angle is 30.00 degrees. I set the fences on my wedgie sled with a 30-60-90 drafting triangle and use a sharp cross-cut only blade in the table saw. I get smooth, good-fitting joints that make a ring with no gaps. I lay all 12 segments out on a straight piece of tape, sticky side up, put Titebond Original glue on the adjacent faces, then pull the tape with the attached segments into a ring. Last, I put pressure on the ring with a hose clamp. I've never had a gap or had a ring come apart.

The trick to get two rings to join up reliably is to get both faces dead flat and parallel to each other. If two rings can rock a little against each other, they're not flat.
A lot of people use sandpaper glued to a flat board.

Does this help any?

RE: A hackberry vase - arthropod98 - 09-11-2023

nice!!  never worked with hackberry before, but i like the looks of it.  
Yes

RE: A hackberry vase - Bill Holt - 09-12-2023

(09-11-2023, 12:56 PM)SceneryMaker Wrote: The segment ends that make a ring? 
My first three "Beads Of Courage Boxes" were segmented, and every ring went together perfectly.  At a demonstration, I realized you can create half rings, sand, then glue.  If I get serious about segmenting, I will look into the wedgie systems.
Thank you for showing interest in my struggles.  That is one thing that has always been great about WoodNeters!!!

RE: A hackberry vase - SceneryMaker - 09-12-2023

(09-12-2023, 08:07 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: If I get serious about segmenting, I will look into the wedgie systems.

If you get a $5 drafting triangle from Walmart and make a wedgie sled from that bin of scrap that's "too good to pitch. I might use it someday," (everybody has a bin like that.), you can get started with that technique really cheap and not even very much time. I think I'll start another thread with my easy-to-make sled.

RE: A hackberry vase - arthropod98 - 09-13-2023

(09-12-2023, 08:07 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: My first three "Beads Of Courage Boxes" were segmented, and every ring went together perfectly.  At a demonstration, I realized you can create half rings, sand, then glue.  If I get serious about segmenting, I will look into the wedgie systems.
Thank you for showing interest in my struggles.  That is one thing that has always been great about WoodNeters!!!

yep, i've definitely done the 1/2 rings before.  depending on the layout and what you're doing, it works great.  but, it can introduce things just being a BIT off depending on how much sanding ya need to do.  certainly better than tossing into the scrap pile though!  
Laugh