Woodnet Forums
Small Boxes - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Small Boxes (/showthread.php?tid=7375394)

Small Boxes - TheCabinetmaker - 03-17-2024

I made the Cherry box a week ago to store some detail chisels, from Lee Valley. The 2 Walnut boxes 5 or so years ago. The walnut ones are the same size LxW but with different heights. They all have small runners on the bottom to interlock with same-size boxes. They were mostly made with hand tools (dovetails, cutting the groves, and beveling the top). They were finished with BLO and Minwax Antique oil. 

[attachment=50280]

[attachment=50281]

RE: Small Boxes - Bill Holt - 03-18-2024

Nice work.  Good tools deserve dedicated storage.

RE: Small Boxes - TheCabinetmaker - 03-18-2024

Thanks, Bill I agree. I'm trying my best to get my shop organized so don't spend half my time looking for tools.

RE: Small Boxes - Mike Brady - 03-22-2024

Excellent work and those tools deserve that resting place.  Reminds me of my own and I would be proud to have yours in my shop along side them.

RE: Small Boxes - bandit571 - 03-22-2024

The problem I used to run into in making cases for tools...is in the choice of woods used....iron/steel do react to Oak, and other woods with Tannic Acid in them...The acid will react to the metal over time..corroding the metal, and turning the wood black....

RE: Small Boxes - TheCabinetmaker - 03-22-2024

The walnut ones have popular as a secondary wood. They are approx 5 years old. The Cherry one uses pine. That being said many years ago when I got into woodworking, I made a drawer base for tools out of pine. I had some 2x treated left over and used it for the top (this was BC "before computers" so no way to easily research things). Even though it was dry within a week I noticed tools in the top drawer had a light film of rust. Needless to say, that came off and was replaced.