Woodnet Forums
Blunt chisel technique with Master Plane Maker - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Blunt chisel technique with Master Plane Maker (/showthread.php?tid=7375590)

Blunt chisel technique with Master Plane Maker - Timberwolf - 04-09-2024

Bill Carter...simple to make {modify} and very efficient at wood {and glue} removal...give them a new life and put those cheap chisels to good use.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re_bp5Lp0To

RE: Blunt chisel technique with Master Plane Maker - barryvabeach - 04-09-2024

Thanks for the link, nice video.

RE: Blunt chisel technique with Master Plane Maker - toolmiser - 04-09-2024

That was interesting!

RE: Blunt chisel technique with Master Plane Maker - Tony Z - 04-10-2024

Thanks Jack! I'll be trying this technique. Might need to try on brass, also.

RE: Blunt chisel technique with Master Plane Maker - Timberwolf - 04-10-2024

(04-10-2024, 05:03 AM)Tony Z Wrote: Thanks Jack!  I'll be trying this technique.  Might need to try on brass, also.

It should work pretty well on brass, Tony...You may need to give the blunt edge a little negative rake, tho...Worth a try....I am a big fan of Bill Carter..He makes fantastic planes out of scrap brass..love to listen to him speak in his Brit accent also.

RE: Blunt chisel technique with Master Plane Maker - Tony Z - 04-10-2024

(04-10-2024, 07:56 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: .............
It should work pretty well on brass, Tony...You may need to give the blunt edge a little negative rake, tho...Worth a try....I am a big fan of Bill Carter..He makes fantastic planes out of scrap brass..love to listen to him speak in his Brit accent also.

Tried the technique on a piece of mahogany and a piece of cherry: works wonderfully! The biggest issue was that the mahogany was already smoothed, so I had to angle the chisel (1/2 bevel edged) into the wood a smidgen. The surface left was great on both species.

(04-10-2024, 08:26 AM)Tony Z Wrote: Tried the technique on a piece of mahogany and a piece of cherry:  works wonderfully!  The biggest issue was that the mahogany was already smoothed, so I had to angle the chisel (1/2 bevel edged) into the wood a smidgen.  The surface left was great on both species.
Good to know, Tony!!!! I guess, like most things, it takes a little experimentation to develop the desired skills. Bill Carter makes it look so easy!!!
Winkgrin

RE: Blunt chisel technique with Master Plane Maker - Grandpa Dave - 04-10-2024

Thanks for the post Jack. I've never seen any of his videos before. Plan to check more out. It is a very interesting concept. He does make it look easy.

(04-10-2024, 10:12 AM)Grandpa Dave Wrote: Thanks for the post Jack. I've never seen any of his videos before. Plan to check more out. It is a very interesting concept. He does make it look easy.

[Image: D3-D44-CAF-A990-4-EFE-A99-E-BB5-AACAE79-E2.jpg]