Woodnet Forums
Millers Falls - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Millers Falls (/showthread.php?tid=7375792)

Pages: 1 2

Millers Falls - TimW - 05-08-2024

Is there value in type 1 Millers Falls planes?

RE: Millers Falls - Tony Z - 05-08-2024

I don't follow type studies, but MF are some of my favorite tools. The planes I like, are those with the articulating lever cap.

RE: Millers Falls - bandit571 - 05-08-2024

Type 1s are the Collectable ones..then there was a Type 2(Pre-WW2) a Type 3 (During and just after WW2) then they brought back the Type2...then about 1947 or so..they brought out the Type 4..
[attachment=50993]
Which was the last of the "Good Types"

There WAS a Type 5...but..not worth buying..

RE: Millers Falls - Timberwolf - 05-08-2024

(05-08-2024, 07:28 AM)Tony Z Wrote: I don't follow type studies, but MF are some of my favorite tools.  The planes I like, are those with the articulating lever cap.
those with the articulating lever cap.

Same here Tony...I'll take the MF planes with that cap over the Stanleys.

RE: Millers Falls - Bill Wilson - 05-08-2024

(05-08-2024, 12:54 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ...........
those with the articulating lever cap.

Same here Tony...I'll take the MF planes with that cap over the Stanleys.

This isn't the first time that MF hinged lever caps mentioned as being superior to vintage Stanleys.

Not disputing it at all, just that I'm curious.  What makes them better?

(05-08-2024, 01:21 PM)Bill Wilson Wrote: This isn't the first time that MF hinged lever caps mentioned as being superior to vintage Stanleys.

Not disputing it at all, just that I'm curious.  What makes them better?

The mystique? Don't know, Bill, but I do know mine seem to take better shavings. I can't see them placing more pressure on the cap iron, so maybe it's more of an equal pressure??? I also like the "Stay-Set" 2-piece lever caps found on some Record and Clifton planes.

RE: Millers Falls - bandit571 - 05-08-2024

Have never had any "Chatter" from any of the Millers Falls planes with the 2 pc lever cap....however..the V-Line planes were a bit chattery...but, they had the Stanley style caps..

Now..how about one of the Buck Rogers style of planes?

BTW: the Millers Falls planes I have?  No.8, T-2...No.9 ( 4 different ones) a No. 11 T-2..a couple No. 14s and a No. 15....and a few block planes..

I've every Buck Rogers tool that MF made, including the planes.  Mine are "lookers", though sharpened and tested!

I'm still searching for a #15.  I've considered getting a #6 size and cutting it down, but a #15 will be found!

IMO, those planes with the articulated lever caps are superior to Stanley Bedrocks.

RE: Millers Falls - bandit571 - 05-10-2024

Had to look twice, one day...saw a Jack plane for sale that was a bit bigger than normal ones...only thing was..someone had spray painted all the metal paint a PURPLE colour...yuck!  I think I paid somewhere around $25 for it...got it home, stripped of the PURPLE stuff..and found out it was a Millers Falls No. 15, Type 2...they at least left the wood parts alone. 

It is taking turns with my Stanley No. 5-1/2c, Type 11....

RE: Millers Falls - tablesawtom - 05-13-2024

I like the MF two piece lever caps. I think they clamp down on the blade and chip braker in a couple of places therefor stiffing the blade assemble. Other than that I really can't see much difference between the Stanley and Miller Fall. If the truth be told the frogs probably will interchange.

Tom