Woodnet Forums
Show us what you have made - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Show us what you have made (/showthread.php?tid=7375918)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Show us what you have made - Timberwolf - 05-26-2024

and help keep up the activity in the hand tool forum..tools, furniture, jigs, whatever...I'll go first...

[Image: 69-B59402-A53-B-4550-A213-2-F7-E779-A9985-1-201-a.avif]

Whittling/woodcarving knives..Top one made a few years ago...Why do knife handles all have to look the same? Your hand will get used to them..
Winkgrin
Bottom two knives are the first ones I ever made and that would have been in the  mid sixties...Blades were made from an old throttle leaf spring, hardened and tempered...they have been sharpened many times..The blades were all epoxied into holes drilled into the handles.I have never had one come out or get loose... Some made using 01 tool steel, HSS and some of Damascus steel....I have made hundreds since that time. I do like using exotic woods these days.
Big Grin

RE: Show us what you have made - Hank Knight - 05-26-2024

Those are wonderful, Jack. How did you come up with an oval ferrule on the top one? It doesn't look like you squeezed it in a vise, it's too perfect.

RE: Show us what you have made - Timberwolf - 05-26-2024

(05-26-2024, 03:26 PM)Hank Knight Wrote: Those are wonderful, Jack. How did you come up with an oval ferrule on the top one? It doesn't look like you squeezed it in a vise, it's too perfect.

Thank you Hank...great to see you posting again!!!!! Hope you are doing well!! The ferrule is just a piece of thin-wall brass tubing that you can get at a hardware store {if you can find a hardware store anymore} and I just {carefully}  squeezed it with pliers until it was a nice oval shape...If it is hardened brass, you can anneal it just by using a propane torch until it is red and then quench quickly in water. It will stop fighting you then!!
Winkgrin
Winkgrin

To prevent marking the brass, you can line a pair of Bernard plier jaws with leather and use them.  It can avoid having to polish the scratches out later. You can make an oval ferrule out of copper tubing also, if you anneal it first..and if it "work hardens" on you, just anneal and quench it again.

How about posting some photos of the furniture you have made..your work is truly outstanding!!!

Thank you for your service to our country!! Artillery...King of Battle!!!!!
Winkgrin

RE: Show us what you have made - Hank Knight - 05-27-2024

(05-26-2024, 03:52 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: .......
Thank you Hank...great to see you posting again!!!!! Hope you are doing well!! The ferrule is just a piece of thin-wall brass tubing that you can get at a hardware store {if you can find a hardware store anymore} and I just {carefully}  squeezed it with pliers until it was a nice oval shape...If it is hardened brass, you can anneal it just by using a propane torch until it is red and then quench quickly in water. It will stop fighting you then!!
Winkgrin
Winkgrin

To prevent marking the brass, you can line a pair of Bernard plier jaws with leather and use them.  It can avoid having to polish the scratches out later. You can make an oval ferrule out of copper tubing also, if you anneal it first..and if it "work hardens" on you, just anneal and quench it again.

How about posting some photos of the furniture you have made..your work is truly outstanding!!!

Thank you for your service to our country!! Artillery...King of Battle!!!!!
Winkgrin

Thank you, Jack. I haven't made much recently - health issues have cramped my style. I did finish a dining table for my daughter (posted over on the general Woodworking site under "Why I Do It"). Nothing fancy. Here's a couple of photos:

[Image: 53735587818_c1cb184e64_c.jpg]IMG_0437 by Hank Knight, on Flickr

[Image: 53735820795_bfb25b595c_c.jpg]IMG_2909 by Hank Knight, on Flickr

RE: Show us what you have made - Timberwolf - 05-27-2024

[quote="Hank Knight" pid="8186554" dateline="1716786558"]

Thank you, Jack. I haven't made much recently - health issues have cramped my style. I did finish a dining table for my daughter (posted over on the general Woodworking site under "Why I Do It"). Nothing fancy. Here's a couple of photos:

That's what I'm talking about!!!!!! I remember you posting other photos years ago of heirloom quality furniture you have made...And I remember riding in your Prius along with Bob Z and Jameel on our way to lunch at the MWTCA Meet in Madison Ga...Those were the days!!!!!!!
Winkgrin

Sorry to learn about you health problems..It always seems to catch up with us if we live long enough..I have a good doctor who keeps my motor running, but I have taken a few falls and broken several of my favorite body parts in the last four years.
Crazy Bones break easier at 91...
Sad......But keep on keeping on, and keep on posting!!!

Edit....
Love that old plane...Looks like a Norris I had at one time!!!

(05-27-2024, 08:40 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: ...............
That's what I'm talking about!!!!!! I remember you posting other photos years ago of heirloom quality furniture you have made...And I remember riding in your Prius along with Bob Z and Jameel on our way to lunch at the MWTCA Meet in Madison Ga...Those were the days!!!!!!!
Winkgrin

Love that old plane...Looks like a Norris I had at one time!!!

Yep, those were fun days for sure! I'm very glad to hear that you're still upright, but you need to quit breaking bones, especially hips! My issues aren't life threatening, just annoying and mobility limiting. I'm working through them and hope soon to be able to spend more than 2 hours at a time in my shop.

My Norris A5 is my favorite smoother. It never fails me.

Good to hear from you.

Hank

RE: Show us what you have made - Timberwolf - 05-27-2024

(05-27-2024, 10:48 AM)Hank Knight Wrote: Yep, those were fun days for sure! I'm very glad to hear that you're still upright, but you need to quit breaking bones, especially hips! My issues aren't life threatening, just annoying and mobility limiting. I'm working through them and hope soon to be able to spend more than 2 hours at a time in my shop.

My Norris A5 is my favorite smoother. It never fails me.

Good to hear from you.

Hank
Good to hear from you too!!!!I wish the best for you, Hank...
Winkgrin

RE: Show us what you have made - Nordic - 05-27-2024

LOML wanted some extra storage in the kitchen where the now-defunct wine fridge used to be, so I made a freestanding cabinet along with a small upper wall cabinet - hickory to match the existing casework I built 20 years ago, still had some left after all this time.

[Image: IMG_2427.jpeg]

[Image: IMG_2426.jpeg?itok=Lm8jTgG4]

[Image: IMG_2429.jpeg]

(05-27-2024, 05:54 PM)Nordic Wrote: LOML wanted some extra storage in the kitchen where the now-defunct wine fridge used to be, so I made a freestanding cabinet along with a small upper wall cabinet - hickory to match the existing casework I built 20 years ago, still had some left after all this time.

[Image: IMG_2427.jpeg]

[Image: IMG_2426.jpeg?itok=Lm8jTgG4]

[Image: IMG_2429.jpeg]

That looks terrific. I've e been trying to get my wife to think about letting me build some small storage cabinets for our kitchen, but she's stuck in the original configuration. Still working on it. Any tips would be appreciated.

RE: Show us what you have made - ZachDillinger - 05-27-2024

[attachment=51317]
My most recent project is a version of the famed Roy Underhill spring pole lathe. This is the third time I've built this, with minor improvements/customizations/better materials each time, and I'm finally happy with it. It works wonderfully well.

I'm currently midway on small folding table for my daughter. After that will be a replica of a kitchen cabinet/pie safe from the kitchen at the Rhett-Aiken House in Charleston, SC (that will likely end up as a magazine story).