Woodnet Forums
Moving a spindle sander - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Moving a spindle sander (/showthread.php?tid=7376022)

Moving a spindle sander - fredhargis - 06-10-2024

I've been wanting a stationary spindle sander for a few years. Locally (sort of, about 80 miles away) one has shown up at a price I find attractive. It's a Grizzly G1071. Given the distance I'm wondering about the best way to transport it should I buy it. My f150 has a cap on it, so if it goes in the truck it would to be on it's back. Alternatively I could pull my little trailer (6'x10') and maybe tie it upright and bring it home....but tipping it on it's side into the truck would be a lot simpler. It's not all that heavy, 300#, but I suspect putting it in the truck may be easier than trying to wrestle it up the trailer ramp (mesh floor about 4' long). Opinions?

RE: Moving a spindle sander - fixtureman - 06-10-2024

you have an engine hoist whe I went to pick up some items I used mine to load it then just strapped every thing down

RE: Moving a spindle sander - Rick_B - 06-10-2024

Take the table and trunions off drain any oil if it has an oil reservoir, tilt it on its back and go.   I've hauled a lot worse in a RAV4

Rick

RE: Moving a spindle sander - lift mechanic - 06-11-2024

After reading the manual for that machine there is 4.5 qts. of 90 weight oil in the gearbox. If I were to transport this machine I would keep it up right, use the trailer. Use a hand truck to get up the tail gate ramp. Tilting it a little should not spill any oil. Then tie it down well.

RE: Moving a spindle sander - fredhargis - 06-12-2024

Thanks guys, If i can work out enough time to go get I suspect I'll use the trailer....appreciate the input.

RE: Moving a spindle sander - EightFingers - 06-13-2024

I bought one of those 17 years ago, I paid $375 at Grizzly in Springfield.