Woodnet Forums
Hinge question. - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Hinge question. (/showthread.php?tid=7376341)

Hinge question. - iublue - 07-23-2024

I am making some cabinets and we are using Blum hinges with the 35mm pockets.

What is the minimum door frame width that you use?  In the past, I used 1 7/8 for the width.  They want the frame as thin as possible.
Some doors will have glass so I believe that complicates using a thinner door frame.

RE: Hinge question. - Roly - 07-23-2024

(07-23-2024, 10:36 AM)iublue Wrote: I am making some cabinets and we are using Blum hinges with the 35mm pockets.

What is the minimum door frame width that you use?  In the past, I used 1 7/8 for the width.  They want the frame as thin as possible.
Some doors will have glass so I believe that complicates using a thinner door frame.

You may only be able to go to 1 3/4" width.  the 35mm pocket it self is 1.378" plus about 1/8" on the hinge side plus room on the outside edge and you are about the 1 3/4".      Also remember if you have any profile on the edges that will also require more room so you don't into the 35mm recess.  Depending on the glass size and thickness it probably require some more width for strength.  Roly

RE: Hinge question. - AHill - 07-23-2024

Plenty of instructions and videos on the web. Depends on the type of hinge.

RE: Hinge question. - iublue - 07-31-2024

(07-23-2024, 11:02 AM)Roly Wrote: You may only be able to go to 1 3/4" width.  the 35mm pocket it self is 1.378" plus about 1/8" on the hinge side plus room on the outside edge and you are about the 1 3/4".      Also remember if you have any profile on the edges that will also require more room so you don't into the 35mm recess.  Depending on the glass size and thickness it probably require some more width for strength.  Roly

Thanks for the response.
Your thinking pretty much matches mine.

RE: Hinge question. - iublue - 07-31-2024

(07-23-2024, 01:57 PM)AHill Wrote: Plenty of instructions and videos on the web. Depends on the type of hinge.

Good suggestion but I have not seen anything that mentions a minimum rail width.
Even the Blum site which I pretty thoroughly went over, had no spec.
I don't need instructions, I have install dozens but all the previous ones were where I set the rail width.
As I stated in my OP, they wanted the door frames as thin as possible.
Just trying to accommodate my customer.

RE: Hinge question. - BrentDH - 07-31-2024

Seems like you just need to make a scaled drawing and decide the minimum wall thickness you are comfortable with.. If you use sketchup/make you could model it.  But if that is not a tool in your arsenal then you could just draw a cross-section on graph paper. You need to know your inner and outer profile, the thickness of the wood, the diameter of the hole, and the depth of the hole. You could draw your cross-section at 2X or 3X to increase your accuracy if you hand draw it. 

Even after all that I would practice on a piece of scrap that is the same width and thickness. 

If it were me, I wouldn’t go less than 1/8” of actual wall thickness to the edge or 1/16” from the bottom of the hole to any surface of the profile. Even that requires extreme precision when drilling the 35mm holes.