Woodnet Forums
Antone have any 6/4 mahogony (or dark wood) they want to part with?? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Antone have any 6/4 mahogony (or dark wood) they want to part with?? (/showthread.php?tid=7376787)

Antone have any 6/4 mahogony (or dark wood) they want to part with?? - Dumb_Polack - 09-13-2024

I started on this chessboard last weekend, but when I applied to Danish Oil (or even just clear poly), the cedar and cherry I'm using didn't contrast all that well.  So, I'm trying to find some darker 6/4 wood for the dark "columns".  I've got plenty of the white cedar so I'll be cutting around all the knots.

I figure I need a 6/4 piece that's about 1 ft long and maybe 8-10" wide.  (I can't do the board feet calculation in my head).

Do you have a piece like that?   Or even 6/4 offcuts, I'll take those.  The tallest column I need is 4" and they step down 1/2" from there.  Any dark wood will do.

Name you (reasonable) price if you do.  Thanks!  (I'm in Mass so I'll tack on the shipping costs).

RE: Antone have any 6/4 mahogony (or dark wood) they want to part with?? - jteneyck - 09-13-2024

(09-13-2024, 11:34 AM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: I started on this chessboard last weekend, but when I applied to Danish Oil (or even just clear poly), the cedar and cherry I'm using didn't contrast all that well.  So, I'm trying to find some darker 6/4 wood for the dark "columns".  I've got plenty of the white cedar so I'll be cutting around all the knots.

I figure I need a 6/4 piece that's about 1 ft long and maybe 8-10" wide.  (I can't do the board feet calculation in my head).

Do you have a piece like that?   Or even 6/4 offcuts, I'll take those.  The tallest column I need is 4" and they step down 1/2" from there.  Any dark wood will do.

Name you (reasonable) price if you do.  Thanks!  (I'm in Mass so I'll tack on the shipping costs).

I have a piece of 6/4 genuine mahogany about 12 - 13" wide.  I also have black walnut.  The wood is free, you just pay the shipping, and if I use Pirate Ship that won't be very much.  

John

RE: Antone have any 6/4 mahogony (or dark wood) they want to part with?? - Dumb_Polack - 09-13-2024

(09-13-2024, 02:04 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I have a piece of 6/4 genuine mahogany about 12 - 13" wide.  I also have black walnut.  The wood is free, you just pay the shipping, and if I use Pirate Ship that won't be very much.  

John

John I just sent you a PM.

BTW, what is Pirate Ship??

RE: Antone have any 6/4 mahogony (or dark wood) they want to part with?? - jteneyck - 09-13-2024

(09-13-2024, 05:15 PM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: John I just sent you a PM.

BTW, what is Pirate Ship??

Pirate Ship is a company that offers lower price shipping using USPS and UPS as the carriers.  Don't ask me how they can offer rates up to 50% less than going directly to those guys, but they do.  Service is still the same.  

John