Woodnet Forums
Looking for a good Xmas project! - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Looking for a good Xmas project! (/showthread.php?tid=7376855)

Looking for a good Xmas project! - toolmiser - 09-22-2024

Last year I turned snowmen for them on the lathe for a Christmas present.  This was knowing the oldest would be a college this year and would help her both be in the season, plus have something from home.  I would like to make something again and get it to her before Christmas.  Snowman was only maybe 6 inches tall so I don't want something large.  All ideas would be appreciated.  I better get it going soon!

Thanks

RE: Looking for a good Xmas project! - Dumb_Polack - 09-23-2024

(09-22-2024, 08:45 PM)toolmiser Wrote: Last year I turned snowmen for them on the lathe for a Christmas present.  This was knowing the oldest would be a college this year and would help her both be in the season, plus have something from home.  I would like to make something again and get it to her before Christmas.  Snowman was only maybe 6 inches tall so I don't want something large.  All ideas would be appreciated.  I better get it going soon!

Thanks

Miser?

Maybe about 1 year ago Woodsmith showed making Christmas trees ornaments where the contrastingly-colored wood was glued up @ 45 degrees and then turned.  I made a few of them.  once the blank is glue up, you can whip them out in about an hour.  They were fun to make.

Issue #270.

RE: Looking for a good Xmas project! - toolmiser - 09-23-2024

Can you by chance post a picture? I don't subscribe to any magazines any more, I would purchase the plan if it was what I want. I can't find any pictures online.

Can you by chance post a picture? I don't subscribe to any magazines any more, I would purchase the plan if it was what I want. I can't find any pictures online.

Sorry, but I do have the magazine. Don't need a picture. Thanks for your help!

RE: Looking for a good Xmas project! - Bob10 - 09-23-2024

(09-23-2024, 09:07 PM)toolmiser Wrote: Can you by chance post a picture?  I don't subscribe to any magazines any more, I would purchase the plan if it was what I want.  I can't find any pictures online.

Sorry, but I do have the magazine.  Don't need a picture.  Thanks for your help!

for more ideas look at etsy

RE: Looking for a good Xmas project! - Dumb_Polack - 09-24-2024

(09-23-2024, 10:41 AM)toolmiser Wrote: Can you by chance post a picture?  I don't subscribe to any magazines any more, I would purchase the plan if it was what I want.  I can't find any pictures online.

Tool?

I'm not back at home until Thursday/Friday.  I'll post a picture then.

RE: Looking for a good Xmas project! - goredsus - 09-25-2024

Last year I turned snowmen for them on the lathe for a Christmas present.  This was knowing the oldest would be a college this year and would help her both be in the season, plus have something from home.  I would like to make something again and get it to her before Christmas.  Snowman was only maybe 6 inches tall so I don't want something large.  All ideas would be appreciated.  I better get it going soon!

Thanks[/quote]

D_P's will likely be better than mine (I'm still pretty bad at turning) but hopefully you'll get the general idea from these pictures  (plus some other stuff I made last year).  Quick note...their plans called for combining Walnut and Maple.  I did one with Walnut, Maple, and Cherry.  Blanks were 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" x 7".  Strips were 1/4" and 3/"4 according to their plans.

[attachment=52596]

[attachment=52597]

[attachment=52598]

[attachment=52599]

[attachment=52600]

[attachment=52601]

RE: Looking for a good Xmas project! - Gary G™ - 09-25-2024

There’s always Reindeer:

https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=4076590

RE: Looking for a good Xmas project! - toolmiser - 09-27-2024

Thanks for all the replies. Hopefully this will get me motivated on time to get something done. I might have to post it also.