FastCap Sawhood White

I'm considering adding one of these to my miter saw. I can't seem to find many independent reviews or opinions of this product and that has me slightly concerned even though overall I have a pretty high opinion of the FastCap products that I've purchased in the past. I'm wondering if anyone here has purchased one of these dust collecting hoods and what the pros and/or cons might be. TIA.
I've seen this set up at a cutting station in a Rockler. Their site has some reviews: http://www.rockler.com/fastcap-chopshop-...ws-content

I didn't use it. Felt it was a bit big for shop use. I could see it if setting up in someone's home to do trim. Or get the kapex. For shop use, people seem to make their own sawdust collection boxes at their cutting station.

Matt
I came across this a few weeks ago. I have no idea what it costs and according to their website, it isn't available yet if ever. Kind of intrigued me, so I played around with making my own out of some stretchy fabric and the design seems to work ok. You still need to run a vac off the dust chute. A little more tinkering and I think I can make it better. The biggest problem of course is if you make big bevel or miter cuts. For straight 90 cuts it does well.

I really don't like the big scoops and tents that are out there. I have my miter saw on a moblie base and move it frequently so I like to keep it minimal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=267&v=nsgnCHDTo4U
J-W-P, I also saw that video recently, it was posted on another site, and it was what got me to revisit the dust collection issues with my SCMS again. Unfortunately, that video is actually several years old and it appears that particular product never did make it to the marketplace. Too bad as it did appear to work well in the video.
Ah, ok. That was the first I'd seen of it. Like you, I've been fiddling with the miter saw dust collection recently.
It might be worth experimenting with it making your own to fit your saw. From what I tried, it did seem to work. The tricky part is attaching it to the saw. I used velcro to temporarily hold it. That worked but it wouldn't hold up long term.
I would suggest that the improved dust collection had more to do with the vacuum/Dust Deputy combo than the shroud. For the two tests, he was kind of comparing apples and oranges. To get a meaningful comparison, he needed to compare the amount of stray dust using the vacuum/DD combo first without the shroud, and then with it. The test just using the bag is meaningless.
A retirement dedicated to fine woodworking and bad golf.
They work well on new construction sites. I know a couple trimmers that have them. When your trimming, sawdust goes everywhere- and sticks to ceilings and walls. This helps contain it a bit and saves the contractor some cleanup time when the trimmers are done. Obviously a dust collector would be better but I've never seen DC on a job site.
I felt that way too. No DC is always going to be a mess.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Check this setup:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f30/gary...saw-52827/
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
It has always seemed to me that using a powerful DC unit, and some form of housing easily takes care of most of the dust from a chop saw. Because of the swing needed to get the angles in, then if you add a slider and have to make sure depth is covered you can end up with a big housing. If you cannot handle the size requirement is going to be the biggest problem. If size doen't matter just start building.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW