People can't get enough Alder
Seems all I've done for the past 2 years has been Alder, either Rustic or Premium, We have a shop full of the stuff again !
http://s1139.photobucket.com/user/DaveHa...ull%20Shop
Rustic alder seems to be the thing nowadays around here for anything 'custom'. I kinda like the look, but as with cherry, I don't generally like it once somebody tries to stain it. Which they almost always do.
Last summer we remodeled our kitchen using knotty alder. It looks great. We built our cabinets but bought doors and drawer fronts from a company that specializes in that stuff.

Brick backsplash gives a Tuscany look which is what my wife wanted.

She's happy and me too!
Leinie said:

Seems all I've done for the past 2 years has been Alder, either Rustic or Premium, We have a shop full of the stuff again !
http://s1139.photobucket.com/user/DaveHa...ull%20Shop

Kids had alder cabinets and moldings in the basic house, but couldn't afford them in the addition. We did maple, and some RBS, which doesn't look bad, but had some problems nailing.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
that's interesting, I used to buy alder because it was really cheap. I liked working it, that's for sure.
Even the clear Alder is quite a bit cheaper than Maple for us.
It has been that way here since 1998

80% of what I do is alder based
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Leinie said:

Even the clear Alder is quite a bit cheaper than Maple for us.

Who is your supplier?

I have a client in the NW that likes Alder, and I talked him into cherry for 100 urns a month.....cause its easier for me to source....and frankly on par cost wise. In the end, he is way happier with cherry.

I don't use much alder.....maybe that is why.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)