Pignut Hickory shallow bowl

Had to do some yard work this morning, and the wife was still finishing the 'paint-the-chair- thing she had started....so I disappeared into the garage when I finished(I don't much like painting). Grabbed a chunk of the Pignut Hickory I milled last year off the shelf and came up with this one. The bark inclusions inside the heartwood were a pleasant surprise....it'll give the piece a lot of 'what-the-heck-is-that-hole-doing-there' conversations!

Finished with three coats of 'shine juice'. I might give it a once over with the rattle can lacquer, but I don't know yet?

Scott (hard as a rock) B
I do have unlisted larger stock not listed on the website. We are always making new blanks, you should stop and take a look!
slabsblanksandboards
Turned out nice. I have a bunch of standing shagbark hickory that I am dieing to turn. I can't wait for one of them to fall.
Scott

Thank came out really nice buddy.

I have never turned Hickory before and Oak is one thing I have been wanting to turn for a while. I seen Ellsworth turn a closed vessel with it and I really like how it came out.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
badwhiskey said:

Turned out nice. I have a bunch of standing shagbark hickory that I am dieing to turn. I can't wait for one of them to fall.

Fall? Make it fall! Chainsaws are cheap, and you will always find a use for having one around.

Scott (chainsaws are fun) B
I do have unlisted larger stock not listed on the website. We are always making new blanks, you should stop and take a look!
slabsblanksandboards
Very nice bowl!
Steve K

I have a chainsaw. Just a little skeert of felling a big tree.
Big trees fall slower, not really....but it's what I tell the new guys at work

Cut the notch to 80% width of the tree(not to be read as 80% OF the tree), and then back cut 2 to 3 inches higher. Use wedge(s) if you are trying to 'force' the tree somewhere.

Thanks for the kudos everyone!

Scott (gonna rain again) B
slabsblanksandboards