Vanguard Replacement Windows?
Any thoughts here about Vanguard Comfort Series 4550 vinyl windows by MI? I was talking to a contractor and said I was interested in Marvin. He said the Vanguard vinyl had better insulation, better warranty, and was otherwise fairly indistinguishable from Marvin. I don’t see much on the internet about this brand. Would appreciate any insight or experience.

Thanks.

Every vinyl window manufacturer says their window has better insulation. The best vinyl windows I've ever seen don't hold a candle to Marvin.

When you install new windows, ask your self "do I ever want to do this again?" "Or should I buy Marvin, Andersen or Pella"

Never heard of Vanguard but I've also never heard of most Vinyl windows I inspect... because they don't put their name on them. They don't put their name on them for a reason.

Almost all windows I inspect with damaged parts, failed thermal seals, stripped threads and failed balances are vinyl window. Lots if them between 10 and 20 years old. Many newer than that. I could probably count on 1 hand the number of Marvin, Andersen and Pella windows I've inspected with failed thermal seals or damaged parts. I do see failed Andersen balances with broken chords. But those parts are easily accessible and replaced. Who ever though ot a good idea to run a wood screw into 3/32 inch thick vinyl and expect it to work for long.

Read Vinyl window "Lifetime Warranties", they all read the same. "Lifetime" is the life time of the window, not you and it's usually 10 years with a pro rated warranty after that. Meaning they won't cover full replacement parts costs or labor and each year the warranty covers a lower %..

Not cheap but Andersen's Renewal windows with the fiber/composite frames and sashes are real nice. I've seen Pella's vinyl windows... not impressed.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

The MI windows my daughter has are Cr@ppy they don't seal very well and MI doesn't stand behind them.
(05-23-2024, 05:55 PM)fixtureman Wrote: The MI windows my daughter has are Cr@ppy they don't seal very well and MI doesn't stand behind them.

MI makes windows for a lot of different companies (brands). I believe they are the largest vinyl window manufacturer. From real crummy to better than most, depending on how much you want to spend. MI is one of the few surviving window companies from the aluminum frame era. Before MI, they were called Metal Industries. I think they have 4 or 5 plants across the US. Any installer can have his own brand, MI puts the installer's logo sticker on it.

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

Would you all suggest wood frame over vinyl? This is a 100 year old house in Westchester, NY, if it makes a difference.

(05-24-2024, 02:23 PM)David Stone Wrote: Would you all suggest wood frame over vinyl?  This is a 100 year old house in Westchester, NY, if it makes a difference.

I think I got ahead of myself. Wood "replacement" windows may not exist.

Keep in mind that if you are doing replacement window, your options are limited. New construction options are limitless.

If I were doing vinyl replacements, I'd probably buy Castle if they're available in your area. I've replaced all my windows except 4. Those are and they are Castle replacements. But if budget allowed, I'd buy Andersen or Marvin fiberglass replacements.

I believe Marvin replacements will be less expensive than Andersen and are every bit as good as Andersen.

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

I think the Marvins I’m looking at are wood inside and clad outside. They’re quoting me about $2400 each for 7 casement windows - 38x46.

(05-25-2024, 12:46 PM)David Stone Wrote: I think the Marvins I’m looking at are wood inside and clad outside.  They’re quoting me about $2400 each for 7 casement windows - 38x46.

Are these replacement windows or new construction windows?

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS