DC 09 chairs
This is, hopefully, the penultimate post on these chairs. I was unsure whether to post this one since the changes and progress sequence must appear so small to all, yet I am aware of how much work goes into shaving, shaving, shaving ... And there is still more to do, as well as more shaping to slim the arms further, and then sanding to a finished surface before adding shellac (for tone) and hard wax oil for protection. We are closing in.
Smile

The toughest task in working on the arms is to hold them. I choose to work at a MFT bench as it has options for clamping. Here are some ...

[Image: SSS1.jpg]

The end vise gets used in a number of ways ...

[Image: SSS2.jpg]

[Image: SSS3.jpg]

Hold downs secure the arms to work on the mortises ...

[Image: SSS4.jpg]

The arm-leg connection was worked on earlier and mated closely, but not enough. Final fitting is made by holding the two together and sawing though the join with a thin saw blade ...

[Image: SSS5.jpg]

The current state of play ...

[Image: SSS6.jpg]

[Image: SSS7.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Looking good! Certainly a challenging project - thanks for the update.
Wow. WHat I admire the most is the courage to start such a projekt!
Amazing work as always Derek.  Great to see you posting here again.
Semper Fi,

Barry
Thanks Tapper. Thanks Pedder. Thanks Barry.

Progress is so slow in a build like this. I was watching a video of Sam Maloof yesterday, and he described how he and his three team members would do a bit, then pass the part to another, who did their bit, put it aside for discussion, returned to tune it, and so on. And I realised that this is what has been occuring in this build. I cannot post too frequently as that would appeal only to those who are really passionate or just plain masochistic!

I am hoping to finish the final shaping and sanding today, and glue the arms and legs together. Yesterday was spent reducing the thickness of the arms, especially the back .... back-and-forth ... back-and-forth ... talk about watching paint dry!

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Could not agree with you more on the seemingly tiny incremental steps on some projects. I've never built any chairs approaching the complexity of your project, but am currently in the middle of repairing, refurbishing and modifying a woodworking workbench that I built over 20 years ago. Would seem like a pretty straightforward and uncomplicated task, but not so much. Coming up with solutions to unseen challenges that suddenly appear takes time. However, that is also part of the fun of this and other hobbies. Solving problems provides its own level of satisfaction!

Doug
Thanks Derek for posting this and sharing your knowledge. It is very appreciated!

-Brian

PS: Beautiful work as usual!!!!!!
Thanks for posting this. I have not been very productive in the wood shop for the past few years. and less active on this forum.
Awesome work and really getting me motivated to spend more time in the shop.