DeWalt 18v to 20v adapter?
4 out of 6 18v batteries no longer take a charge. I bought an adapter and 2 - 20 v 2AH batteries as a kit. The 2AH batteries do not last very long. I need larger batteries or some other brand of 18v batteries. I would change to 20v tools but I have 12 tools that use the 18v batteries. Any suggestions as to a good replacement. Not all 20v batteries work with the adapter, so I am told. Thanks, Mark
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
I believe there have been threads about the adapters on this site.  Dewalt put some limitations on their own adapter as far as what tools they could be used with.  IIRC, that was because of voltage or protection or something. The only tool I had problems with was the reciprocating saw, the adapter would fall off.  My experience with 2ah packs is they don't last long under any kind of heavy usage.  And they don't have voltage indicators, which is bad for their working life. I put them on drills sometimes. I am happiest with 4ah unless it's on a circular saw, then at least 5ah seems to last much longer.
-2Ah doesn't last very long---- Like how long and under what usage? Without doing research I'm guessing 15 minutes on a recip saw would drain a 2Ah dead. Now if you're talking three 3" deck screws and your drill is dead, that's another story. My theory is the battery is not the issue, it's just that 2Ah doesn't last long because of Ohms law. Would need to now specifically how long the run-time to diagnose.
-If I'm not mistaken, the Dewalt 18V platform has been discontinued like what 10 years? Could be your tools are wearing out in addition to you got the lowest Ah battery you can get. But those 18V Dewalts are all brushed motors and they do wear out.

What I would do in your shoes- pick a Dewalt 20V tool that you use the most and or shop for whatever tool is on a good deal (that you want/ need), something that comes with say a 5Ah battery and buy that tool. Now you have a new whatever and a 5Ah battery to test on your old tools. I think this is more economical than just buying a bare battery, but I could be wrong. Buy from a name brand store, lots of legit looking fakes on ebay, amazon, etc. You could also potentially do the Home Depot hack (whether this is ethical or not is up to you) and use that to get a deal on a battery with some real Ah. If that does the trick, keep using your 18V Dewalt but I'd think about starting to replace them as you go along. 10 years is really a lot to ask these days of a cordless tool. They are disposable by design unfortunately.

Another option is you are not limited to DeWalt platform with the adapter. I'm a HF fanboy so I like the Bauer batteries for bang for the buck. They're not the 'best' but bang for the buck I think they're worth a look. I don't know that this is the best economically since you'd have to invest in battery+charger+another adapter. SO what you could do here for example, $90 at HF gets you a battery+charger+free tool, so pick a tool you don't already have but would use intermittently (brad nailer?). Then get another $20 adapter to go Bauer to 18V Dewalt. But, that's a lot to spend to get a 'cheap' battery if you don't see the value in the 'free' HF tool.

I don't -thinnk- the circuitry on the old 18V DeWalt is very complicated so I think it's unlikely that its an adapter issue, although I could be wrong. If it was new tech to new tech I think the brands are getting wise to the adapter usage and trying to make sure there is some system to circumvent their use. I suspect it's an underpower (Ah) issue along with a non-efficient and worn motor on the old DeWalts. It's probably not what you want to hear, but the new brushless cordlessis WAAAY better than the 10 year old tech and the batteries have also gotten better. Even the mid-level 'cheap' batteries of today are better than anything that was out 10 years ago so it's probably time to start replacing the fleet. Besides, that's what this forum is supposed to be about- us helping you spend your $$ on WW tools.
Also, my opinion on the adapters in general- I'm a big fan and they open up a lot of options, but they make whatever you put them on clunkier than they need to be (some more noticeable than others). They serve a purpose, but nothing like the batteries that were made for the tool.

Also also back on my HF soapbox- I'd put the current Bauer line-up head to head against anything 10 years or older for build quality/ functionality. And the Hercules has gotta be somewhere in slot #5-10 in head to head ranking against any current tools in performance.
Thanks for your thoughts and information. I have been thinking about buying a new 20v tool, batteries and charger. I think that is the best route for me.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor