Craftsman Radial Arm Saw help
I have the RAS  (Model 113.29430} that I gave my father some 50+ years ago.  I am trying to diagnose the problem. It has a growling noise when running and after is turned off it does not take long for it to coast to a stop. I assume that the issue is motor bearings. Any thoughts from those that may have experienced the same would be greatly appreciated ?

Thanks Greg
(07-23-2024, 03:12 PM)Oldwood2409 Wrote: I have the RAS  (Model 113.29430} that I gave my father some 50+ years ago.  I am trying to diagnose the problem. It has a growling noise when running and after is turned off it does not take long for it to coast to a stop. I assume that the issue is motor bearings. Any thoughts from those that may have experienced the same would be greatly appreciated ?

Thanks Greg

It could be bearings and/or the electronic brake in the motor.
The bearings probably need replacing and the brake may be working as designed, stopping the motor.
Lotsa thoughts in the archives.

https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7359096

Rule of thumb is the grease in bearings has about a 20 year lifespan so if they’ve never been replaced then you’re due….

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
(07-23-2024, 03:12 PM)Oldwood2409 Wrote: I have the RAS  (Model 113.29430} that I gave my father some 50+ years ago.  I am trying to diagnose the problem. It has a growling noise when running and after is turned off it does not take long for it to coast to a stop. I assume that the issue is motor bearings. Any thoughts from those that may have experienced the same would be greatly appreciated ?

Thanks Greg

Its most likely that  you're exactly right.  I think the bearings are 6204 size but check.  Maybe the blade bearing is a 6204 and the end bearing is smaller.  Whatever the bearing size, that is a very easy motor to take apart as the Sears RAS line goes.  If your model has the little brake pad on the end, you'll have to work around that little annoyance.
(07-23-2024, 03:47 PM)Charlie Stickney Wrote: It could be bearings and/or the electronic brake in the motor.
The bearings probably need replacing and the brake may be working as designed, stopping the motor.

This.   Roly
I want to thank all that responded to my request for help. Dissembled saw and as you all mentioned the bearings needed to be changed. The major noise probably from the brake system as only half if the brake disc was there. Since parts are no longer available (bearings are off the shelf) I replace disc with one made from a sheet of reinforced graphite. Saw is quite and now takes about 25-30 seconds to spin down vs only a few seconds. The original bearings were shot and this was a very simple repair once all the parts arrived

Thanks to all.
Greg