water softener drain -- how to connect 1/2 flex into 3/4 pvc
I've googled, and I've surfed Home Depot's website more than I'd like to admit and I can't figure this one out.

My water softener died.  I ordered a replacement which will be delivered soon.  I'm piecing together the connections I need, trying to limit the hardware store trips (yeah, right).  

The new unit uses a 1/2 inch flex line/hose as the drain.  Old one had a 3/4 inch pvc drain (it was really old).  Is there some proper connection that I can pick up to connect the 1/2 flex into the 3/4 PVC drain line that goes into the wall?  

I've thought about drilling a hole in a rubber cork, but that seems a little "iffy."  The softener lives under the stairs, adjacent to laundry room -- just about at the very center of the house, so I need to be confident that it won't spill out 50 gallons of salt water into the house at 2am.

Thanks,
Andy
Clear poly hose? You should be able to tighten it down on the 1/2 nipple with a hose clamp without issue. Installers to it all the time. They rather have the larger hose, causes less problems down the road. I did it at the last place and never had an issue with it in 15 years.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

Will the hose fit on a barbed connector? Then figure out what coupler and other pieces you need to connect to the 3/4 line?

I misread your post. Get a 3/4" bushing. Like This one.

Glue it on your pipe.

Then thread on a 1/2 inch nylon barb fitting like this one

You'll probably want to wrap a little Teflon tape around the threads.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

thanks guys!
the best i had come up with on my own was cobbling something together with compression fittings intended for drip irrigation. 

with the barbed fittings, is it ok for the liquid flow to go "against" the barb (in this case from the 1/2 hose "into" the barbed adapter)??
(08-24-2024, 01:12 PM)brax71 Wrote: thanks guys!
the best i had come up with on my own was cobbling something together with compression fittings intended for drip irrigation. 

with the barbed fittings, is it ok for the liquid flow to go "against" the barb (in this case from the 1/2 hose "into" the barbed adapter)??

Im am not an expert on this subject but there are many fittings out there with barbs on both the inlet and outlet so I would have to guess that its ok for the flow to go into the barb, especially in a lower pressure application.