Dewalt 735X planer??
I am looking to upgrade my Delta 12" planer that is old and started giving me problems and I just about got every penny out of it. I want to buy the Dewalt735X planer which gets high marks and reviews as the best bench top planer on the market. Now they sell the same planer with a Shelix head instead of the straight blades but it is a $1000 more. But doing some homework I see you can buy the Byrd Shelix cutterhead separately and change it your self for about $600. The Planer is about $650 to $700 so the savings would be about $400. The thing is if you buy the OEM cutterhead you have to take all the cutters off and slide the head through the bearing raceways and then reinstall the cutters. Or you can buy a smaller version and only have to remove one or two rows of cutters to get through raceways. But in the end there is things that get thrown off because of the smaller diameter cutterhead. or I should say features like the depth gauge.

Now with this bit of knowledge that I have I would like to ask if anyone has the planer and with what cutterhead? If you changed to a shelix cutterhead did you get an OEM one or a smaller diameter? What was your experience changing heads? Are you seeing that much difference in cut quality? I am sure the carbide cutters would be smoother in all types of wood. I also understand that the Shelix head draws more amps during cutting than the straight blades so to begin with a 20 amp breaker is in need but with the universal motors on these you can only run for so long and it will overheat and cause the thermal button on the unit to trip or the breaker in panel. Have you seen this happen. I guess what I am asking is if you own one what are the opinions and the pros and cons? Thanks in advance.
John T.
John, about four years ago, my second DW735 was causing some concerns, when I saw a, new-in-the-box 735 on CL for $400.  Of course I jumped on it.  With great fear, (I am not mechanically inclined) I ordered the Byrd head.  Holy Cow!!!!!!!!!!  Possibly, the smartest tool decision I ever made.  Removing and reinstalling the inserts is a breeze.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(09-07-2024, 07:27 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: John, about four years ago, my second DW735 was causing some concerns, when I saw a, new-in-the-box 735 on CL for $400.  Of course I jumped on it.  With great fear, (I am not mechanically inclined) I ordered the Byrd head.  Holy Cow!!!!!!!!!!  Possibly, the smartest tool decision I ever made.  Removing and reinstalling the inserts is a breeze.

Are the inserts indexed dead on because just slightly off 90 degrees could make a world of difference in quality of cut or lines. Have you had any problems with motor overload? I would have to buy a small torque wrench but can get a HF one for cheap. I plane alot of exotic woods and that is hard on blades and machine and that is why I am looking to upgrade. I do not have the room for a stationary $3500 planer which I would love to have because of the type motors they use in them is so much better. But those dream days are over.
John T.
Call Brian at Holbren. Phone # 407-952-2195 he is a wealth of information on the topic. I ordered it from them and followed the directions. I also found a youtube video that covered the entire process set by step. Get the OEM. Yes, you have to take all the cutters off. It was really no big deal. Go to Harbor Freight and get a torque wrench, a MUST have. The one I got was $15 - $20. 

You will need to take lighter passes but the results are great. I would do it again in a heartbeat.
(09-07-2024, 08:48 AM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: Are the inserts indexed dead on?

Yes
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(09-07-2024, 08:00 PM)Mike 55 Wrote: Call Brian at Holbren. Phone # 407-952-2195 he is a wealth of information on the topic. I ordered it from them and followed the directions. I also found a youtube video that covered the entire process set by step. Get the OEM. Yes, you have to take all the cutters off. It was really no big deal. Go to Harbor Freight and get a torque wrench, a MUST have. The one I got was $15 - $20. 

You will need to take lighter passes but the results are great. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the plug Mike.

First, we only try to stock the OEM ones because demand on the smaller ones has died since the OEM came out.  If you want a smaller diameter one I'll make you a screaming deal.

DeWalt does not put the heads in at the factory, there is a dealer that does it.  That's why the price is so high.

Torque wrench is a must have, 45 INCH pounds and 1/4" drive will work with supplied bit.  Consistency is important not accuracy hence the Harbor Freight option being more than acceptable.  Had a customer once go full bore with a ratchet and cracked most of the inserts.  Torque wrench give you consistent seating and avoids cracking.  There is a procedure for installing the inserts, using the screw head bevel to pull the insert into the seat.

I have some experimental heads from another supplier I'll probably put in a 735 myself.  Only issue is screws were junk and not true so would chip some inserts as they were installed in the machined pocket.  Haven't put the time into finding new screws yet as they are metric and not the Byrd screws which are 10/32.  Picture is before black oxide plating.

[Image: DW735_head.jpg]
I've got the smaller diameter Byrd (OEM wasn't out yet when i got mine). I did adjust the depth gauge on my planer to get it close--but i use a caliper to measure anyway (normally a go-no go gap tool that hangs on the planer). So...if i had to buy today, i'd take the "screaming deal" on the smaller diameter!! But, i'm cheap.