Makita Cordless Router Collet
Love the router...not so happy with the "collet cone".  Two maybe three times the router bit slipped down during operation.  Now I get the nut so tight it is hard to loosen.  Pluss...the cone is so tight, sometimes I have to remove it and push a tapered tool into the cone to expand the opening.

Today I found a tiny mark inside the router shaft and removed it with 600 sandpaper.  I'm guessing there had been debris in there and that was the reason for the slipping bit.

All this to ask, has anyone else experienced a "tight collet cone"?  I have five other routers (4 PC and 1 DeWalt) and have never had a problem.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I think it's tight on all my routers, but they all have the self releasing chucks. That's the ones that you loosen, spin a ew trns and then it gets tight again, you use the wrench to turn it some more and it pulls the chuck out. (I have one PC, and i though ti had that convention...maybe not). But even so they have to be cleaned every once in a while since there's a lot crap that falls in the cone as well as the collet itself.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I had a Freud router where the self release didn't work because the collet got damaged but the collet wasn't available at the time. Maybe a replacement collet is in order.
(10-16-2024, 07:39 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: Love the router...not so happy with the "collet cone".  Two maybe three times the router bit slipped down during operation.  Now I get the nut so tight it is hard to loosen.  Pluss...the cone is so tight, sometimes I have to remove it and push a tapered tool into the cone to expand the opening.

Today I found a tiny mark inside the router shaft and removed it with 600 sandpaper.  I'm guessing there had been debris in there and that was the reason for the slipping bit.

All this to ask, has anyone else experienced a "tight collet cone"?  I have five other routers (4 PC and 1 DeWalt) and have never had a problem.

If the shaft is OK, you might consider getting a new set of collets.  I don't know if the battery driven Makita uses the same collets as the corded palm router, but it it does the collets from Scienci are superb.  I use them in my Makita in my CNC.  

John