Storing shellac brushes?
I'm using shellac for the first time and bought some foam brushes based on advice I've gathered from others.

I *think* I read/heard that you can store them in a ziplock bag after use so that they can be reused later. Is this true? I'm not concerned with keeping the cheap brushes for more than a few days as I apply the finish to a project.
Semper fi,
Brad

(04-24-2018, 05:12 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I'm using shellac for the first time and bought some foam brushes based on advice I've gathered from others.

I *think* I read/heard that you can store them in a ziplock bag after use so that they can be reused later.  Is this true?  I'm not concerned with keeping the cheap brushes for more than a few days as I apply the finish to a project.

Most foam brushes that I've seen have "Not for use with shellac or lacquer" right on the handle.  I'm assuming the solvents are not good for the foam.

I use a natural bristle brush.  I don't even clean it, I just soak in a jar of denatured alcohol for 10 minutes before using it and wiping most of the solvent off before using.
Foam brushes are a bad choice for shellac. I have two natural bristle brushes that work great with shellac. I clean them up with ammonia which will eat through shellac quickly. I dry them, then wrap with brown paper with a rubber band.
One more time: do not use foam brushes for shellac, most of them say that on the handle. Try this: get a reasonably good brush, like a natural bristle brush, and dedicate it to shellac. Don't bother trying to clean it. Let it harden and then store it. The next time you use suspend it in the jar of shellac (or a jar of DNA) for a 15 minutes or so so before you are ready to go again...it will soften up and you can proceed.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(04-25-2018, 05:32 AM)fredhargis Wrote: One more time: do not use foam brushes for shellac, most of them say that on the handle. Try this: get a reasonably good brush, like a natural bristle brush, and dedicate it to shellac. Don't bother trying to clean it. Let it harden and then store it. The next time you use suspend it in the jar of shellac (or a jar of DNA) for a 15 minutes or so so before you are ready to go again...it will soften up and you can proceed.

+1 more

That's all I've ever done.  Wrap it in a folded paper towel, with some tape to maintain it's shape.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the advice. I'll goget a bristle brush this weekend.
Semper fi,
Brad

I've been using brushes with "Taklon" bristles. That's a very fine nylon. Works great and you can get them at art-supply stores. Relatively inexpensive compared to a badger hair brush. And you can get them in all kinds of different sizes and shapes. Even little tiny ones which I've pressed into service for touch-ups after dinging something.

Give them a quick rinse in alcohol and then let them dry out. A bit of a soak before next use and they are ready to go.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin