VFD
I have a Shaper with A 5HP 3ph motor. I was thinking of using a VFD to control the speed. It's my understanding I will need one that will provide constant torque. Has anyone done this and/or have any thoughts on which VFD to use?
Captain Kirk was talking about my shop when he said: Space the final frontier!   
I use a static phase conv. on my 5hp shaper.
Never had the need for a variable speed, the 2 speed pulleys work fine.

Ed
(06-03-2024, 07:34 PM)TheCabinetmaker Wrote: I have a Shaper with A 5HP 3ph motor. I was thinking of using a VFD to control the speed. It's my understanding I will need one that will provide constant torque. Has anyone done this and/or have any thoughts on which VFD to use?

Here is a good article on VFDs:

Vector Control Article

Check out my earlier post where I used a Lenze VFD to control a drill press.

Drill Press Speed Control
(06-03-2024, 07:34 PM)TheCabinetmaker Wrote: I have a Shaper with A 5HP 3ph motor. I was thinking of using a VFD to control the speed. It's my understanding I will need one that will provide constant torque. Has anyone done this and/or have any thoughts on which VFD to use?

I think the VFD has to have 2X the rated motor HP.  10 HP single phase VFD's are big $'s.  I think most people stop considering them above 3HP.  But I'm wrong a lot, so it's worth looking into further.

John