#605 1/2 hand plane blade size
(07-11-2024, 07:03 AM)tablesawtom Wrote: You are welcome. And just out of curiosity which blade did you order, -1 or A2?

Tom

O1
All blades including Lie Nielsen socket chisels.
Just an old guy's preference.
(07-13-2024, 08:32 PM)RBohn Wrote: O1
All blades including Lie Nielsen socket chisels.
Just an old guy's preference.

I prefer to 01 blade also. The chip breakers on a lot of the old planes that I restore are pretty pitted up so I have been buying the chip breakers and blades together. I know it is added expense but it really completes the restoration.
(07-14-2024, 07:37 AM)tablesawtom Wrote: I prefer to 01 blade also. The chip breakers on a lot of the old planes that I restore are pretty pitted up so I have been buying the chip breakers and blades together. I know it is added expense but it really completes the restoration.

I also ordered Hock chip breaker for the #4, in hopes of achieving best performance.
I think you will be getting at least Hock blades for all your planes.

I used to think all the hype about thicker blades reducing chatter and so on was just marketing to get someone to think they needed it thicker and so on. My true feelings are the original blades worked well for around 100 years and still will continue to cut wood. And if a person takes the time to get the chip braker just right so chips and shavings can't get under it is will just do what it is supposed to do.

Fact, all that needs to be done to a an old plane to work is to get the blade sharp. But a problem that can arise is a lot of time is corrosion between the chip braker. and the blade. When that happens the only real cure is to shorten the blade to get rid of it. Which takes time and also can causes problems with hardness and so on. Much easier just to replace the blade, not cheaper.

I have changed my mind after using a hock blade for a while and I will replace all of my blades with Hock 01 blades.  It is easy to get a sharp edge and the edge seems to hold up well. I do have a coupe of PM-V11  I will not replace but I like the hock blades better.

Tom