table saw ripping push block
I needed to rip a series of thin strips just over 1/4" thick. Using a push stick to feed the material wasn't an attractive option, and I came up with this push block. It rests on the rip fence, and the "blade" pivots up to allow the stock to pass under it and then drops down behind the material and provides a comfortable push block to feed the material past the sawblade and then can be slid back to await the next pass. I find it works so nicely that I use it even when ripping material wide enough that it could be fed without a push stick. A friend was in my shop recently and spotted it and  asked if it would be OK for him to take a picture of it. I told him "sure", but then offered to make one for him and he's since agreed that it's a lot more comfortable and safer than feeding material with a push stick. As it will allow material up to two inches high to be passed under the blade I can leave it on the fence where it's immediately available for use. And if the pivoting blade should get a bit too close to the sawblade and get trimmed, it's a simple matter to make a replacement.

Attached Files Image(s)

It looks like that blade pivots on a dowel???
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(07-04-2024, 10:05 AM)fredhargis Wrote: It looks like that blade pivots on a dowel???

that's correct. The dowel extends into the main block, not fastened. The blade is glued to the dowel. The unit pictured was a prototype, I'd made a more refined model, but that was then given to another wood working friend.
Is the dark piece the blade and sacrificial?
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(07-04-2024, 10:58 AM)Gary G™ Wrote: Is the dark piece the blade and sacrificial?

correct. Only when ripping strips less than 1/4" should it touch the sawblade.
Very nice work with your push block.