Jar opening fixture
(07-20-2024, 03:07 PM)MauleSkinner Wrote: Thanks, Tapper! My mom is only 80, so I think she’s got a few years of independent living yet. Unfortunately at almost 500 miles, I’m the closest one. But she’s got a good support group here,
I live alone, and At 91, I was losing my grip strength because I had fallen and broken my wrist and shoulder on my right arm, and wasn't able to use it. ...I had exercisers but they didn't help much because they just required more strength than I could muster. Somehow I ran across a device on Amazon that interested me and I ordered it out. It exercises each finger one at a time or all at once..It comes in "light to heavy" but I bought the "light" one to try it out. It has increased my grip strength tremendously and I recommend you get one for your mom. Jars that were impossible for me to open with grip alone, I can now open easily..I just use the device while I am watching TV and can now squeeze it 125 times with the right hand and 100 times with the left without stopping to rest. When I got it, I couldn't even squeeze it 25 times in a row...These days I seldom need a strap wrench or other jar opening device but I can always use one if I have to.. I think ithe Gripmaster can help your mom with other household chores as well...

Look up Gripmaster on Amazon..or google it. Good luck!!
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Thanks Timberwolf! I’ll check it out.
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp