Hardwood flooring?
What is the best for nailing hardwood flooring? Staples, L cleat or T cleat?

(08-22-2024, 08:07 AM)goaliedad Wrote: What is the best for nailing hardwood flooring? Staples, L cleat or T cleat?

I would go by what your manufacturer recommends, for your particular flooring type and thickness.  However, I did a 3/8" engineered floor with 18 GA narrow crown, 1 1/2" staples.  Worked well.
I have done both. Staples with the air nailer and Nails with a manual nailer. I don't even know if they make manual nailers anymore but I think they work better, especially when there's a bend to the board. It drives the board tight. Not a lot of Drive with the air nailer so a lot of pushing and wedges.

The nice thing about staples is you don't split as many tongues off and you (I) get less hassles like bent nails or nails that drive in flush. That being said, I think the nails (cleats) are fasten the floor tighter.

I wouldn't consider cleats in anything other than 3/4" hardwood.

Lil hint.. try to fix any squeaks while the flooring is off and lay down 30 lb felt paper under the new hardwood floor. It makes for less squeaks and a quieter floor. .
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

I bought the Bostitch air stapler(s) (One's a smaller gun for 3/8" - 1/2" thick flooring). I don't really have trouble pulling crooked tight; I just hit a little harder and put staples closer together. If there's a major convex bow that I can't bump tight with a strong blow on a scrap, I have to decide if I screw a cleat to the floor to wedge it tight or use it for cuts. But those are the only options regardless of fastening method.

BTW; If you borrow mine, don't use the rubber side to bang your boards around or you might be buying a new mallet, and Never hit the gun with the steel side of the mallet if you don't want to buy me a new gun.
No
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"