Zebra wood characteristics
I have a few nice pieces of zebra wood (1/8" and 1/4" quarter sawn). I just finished a presentation box with it and think it turned out very attractive. I have no other experience with it and wonder about some of its characteristics:

- does it hold its natural color, or does it tend to bleach out, turn gray, or darken from the sun?
- does it tend to warp (I would think so)? Will a film finish (shellac, lacquer, or varnish) prevent/deter warping?
- how does it hold up with an oil or oil/wax finish?
- how rot or weather resistant is it (e.g., outdoors, or inside a boat cabin)?

Just trying to get some ideas of what else I can use it for.

Thanks.

This link might be of use to you.
https://www.wood-database.com/zebrawood/
(08-22-2018, 12:36 PM)Enigmatic Wrote: This link might be of use to you.
https://www.wood-database.com/zebrawood/

Well, there IS a lot of information there, especially in the comments. But it really doesn't answer my questions, other than its durability.

Looking for experiential comments.

Hi,

I've used it quite a bit.

- does it hold its natural color, or does it tend to bleach out, turn gray, or darken from the sun?
If it's kept indoors it stays the same color, may darken a bit, very little. I've never seen it used outdoors.

- does it tend to warp (I would think so)? Will a film finish (shellac, lacquer, or varnish) prevent/deter warping?
If it has dried correctly it stays straight. Film finishes on such an open grain is a bit unusual - filling that surface would be quite a job. I suppose it could be done, though. 
I'm not sure than any finish prevents/deters warping, although finishing only one side of an unsupported piece of wood probably would tend to promote warping.

- how does it hold up with an oil or oil/wax finish?
It's going to suck up oil finishes. Do you mean how will the finish hold up? Or the wood?

- how rot or weather resistant is it (e.g., outdoors, or inside a boat cabin)?
I'd imagine that inside a boat cabin would be fine. I've never seen it used outdoors, in the weather.

Just trying to get some ideas of what else I can use it for.
This is just my personal feeling about it: It's grain is quite attractive, in small doses. But it can get pretty overpowering if there's too much of it in one piece, or one room. That's not to say it couldn't be done, but some care, I think, would have to be exercised.

Hope that helps.
I have used it in turning.Made a lot of pens,potpouri dishes and small bowls,5",also salt and pepper shakers.Never had an issue with it.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Thanks, Steve and Chips.

You've told me just about everything I was looking for. As to the film finish, I used rattle can shellac on a small presentation box (approx. 4x6 in.) and it came out well. A satin finish - can feel the grain texture. Not a lot of gloss.

Using it in a ship's cabin? - I was thinking of using it for the front and back cover boards of a ship's log (about 5x7) for my brother-in-law's new coastal sailboat. The rigidity would keep the log from getting beat up, and the striped grain might be just different enough to make it special. I have some padauk that would look almost like morocco leather, but I'm afraid the color would change too much. Just looking for something different and attractive.

(08-24-2018, 11:09 PM)wood2woodknot Wrote: Thanks, Steve and Chips.

You've told me just about everything I was looking for. As to the film finish, I used rattle can shellac on a small presentation box (approx. 4x6 in.) and it came out well. A satin  finish - can feel the grain texture. Not a lot of gloss.

Using it in a ship's cabin?  - I was thinking of using it for the front and back cover boards of a ship's log (about 5x7) for my brother-in-law's new coastal sailboat. The rigidity would keep the log from getting beat up, and the striped grain might be just different enough to make it special. I have some padauk that would look almost like morocco leather, but I'm afraid the color would change too much. Just looking for something different and attractive.

Sounds very nice. Good luck.
I can add this, albeit it doesn’t address your questions.
The dust from it stinks bad.
So bad that my then 11 yo daughter commented
“Maybe they call it ‘zebra wood’ because it smells like zebra poop.”
Ray
(08-28-2018, 05:55 AM)DogwoodTales Wrote: I can add this, albeit it doesn’t address your questions.
The dust from it stinks bad.
So bad that my then 11 yo daughter commented
“Maybe they call it ‘zebra wood’ because it smells like zebra poop.”

Luckily I kept the dust to a minimum.