Grizzly band saw
I was just looking and a Grizzly 513X2 bandsaw is listed at $1,995. That is quite a jump from what they used to be. As a matter of fact all the saws took a big jump. Is there that much of a demand for saws at that price?

Tom
(05-26-2024, 03:46 PM)tablesawtom Wrote: I was just looking and a Grizzly 513X2 bandsaw is listed at $1,995. That is quite a jump from what they used to be. As a matter of fact all the saws took a big jump. Is there that much of a demand for saws at that price?

Tom

The prices are high compared to historical levels, but their current prices actually are lower than a couple of years ago during the pandemic.  

John
I bought a 531x2 about 8 years ago. It's the one with cast iron wheels & trunnions, better fence and foot brake. Cost around $1,100.00 and worth every penny then. I would easily pay $2,000.00 for it today, though there are many excellent competing makes. The Grizz is 220v and the motor starter was bad out of the box. Grizz sent me a replacement, but it was different than what came with the saw and different enough I had to have an electrician come in to make sure it was wired correctly-maybe a run of starters or the electric foot brake? In any case, after the replacement, an excellent saw.

I've a Jet 14" for over twenty years, one of the better models. Still have it, but the Grizz is so much better.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(05-27-2024, 06:39 AM)Tony Z Wrote: I bought a 531x2 about 8 years ago.  It's the one with cast iron wheels & trunnions, better fence and foot brake.  Cost around $1,100.00 and worth every penny then.  I would easily pay $2,000.00 for it today, though there are many excellent competing makes.  The Grizz is 220v and the motor starter was bad out of the box.  Grizz sent me a replacement, but it was different than what came with the saw and different enough I had to have an electrician come in to make sure it was wired correctly-maybe a run of starters or the electric foot brake?  In any case, after the replacement, an excellent saw.

I've a Jet 14" for over twenty years, one of the better models.  Still have it, but the Grizz is so much better.

I have the  GO513x2,  without the brake, has worked flawlessly for many years, other than having to replace the tires,  a well built machine - though of course,  I have made some mods.
(05-27-2024, 08:58 AM)barryvabeach Wrote: I have the  GO513x2,  without the brake, has worked flawlessly for many years, other than having to replace the tires,  a well built machine - though of course,  I have made some mods.

I also had to replace the tires on mine, no mods. Never really used to brake. The fence on mine couldn't be better!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(05-26-2024, 03:46 PM)tablesawtom Wrote: I was just looking and a Grizzly 513X2 bandsaw is listed at $1,995. That is quite a jump from what they used to be. As a matter of fact all the saws took a big jump. Is there that much of a demand for saws at that price?

Tom

Cost of everything is up; I doubt there's been a spike in demand for 17" bandsaws. I have a ~20 year old 513 OG: with a Trimaster 1" blade it will resaw beautifully. I did upgrade the fence (Kreg) and added a link belt. It's a really nice saw.
"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!" Arthur 'Big Guy' Carlson
Depending on where they are made, there is also the tarriff issue, which is not insignificant to consumer cost.  Griz shuffled around their production to exit China and to maximize Taiwan production to avoid the tarriffs, but I think that when they raised prices to account for tariffs, they got a little bit greedy and never lowered them when production was moved, but that's all just my speculation.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis