Dining Table
Usually, Derek, I'm not a big fan of more than one wood in one piece of furniture.
But in this room the dark base of the table is perfect!
The plate seems to levitate above the ground, the base vanishes on the floor.

Again, perfect. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers
Pedder
Excellent work as usual, Derek. Thanks for sharing.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Beautiful table.  We are blessed by you taking the time to share your photos, but more importantly, sharing your design decisions.

Pedder said it perfectly...The plate seems to levitate above the ground, the base vanishes on the floor.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
That’s Derek for sharing your knowledge!

Beautiful Table!!!
I agree with Pedder, the Jarrah base levitates the table top really well. You and your wife did an excellent job on the design. I'm particularly drawn the the extra-long taper of the underside on the ends, as well.

It appears you've rounded the 10 mm edges some, which is necessary IMO. Sharp edges detract from comfort at tables (Mom always said, "No elbows on the table!").

That's a really beautiful dining set, Derek, and your build-alongs are amazingly well documented, both in text and pictures. Thank you!
Looks great Derek!

Some feedbck on the strength and rigidity of the table. This follows a dinner party last night, where guests danced on the table top, used the edges to do push ups, and then proceeded to lean on their elbows while eating.

Okay, so only the last bit is true.

My aim was to build a table with slender proportions. In part, the elliptical shaping created the illusion of slimless, but the dimensions were not over-generous to begin: in the main, mortise-and-tenon joinery 13mm (1/2") thick and 35mm (1 3/8") deep x 70mm (2 3/4") wide in 100mm (4") x 30mm (1 3/16") posts. Most of the (especially USA-made trestle tables) use sections about double these dimensions! I was clearly asking for trouble.

The wood used is in the base is Jarrah and Rock Maple for the top. Jarrah is hard and stiff, but enough? The Maple top looks slim in the photos, but is 30mm thick with edges chamfered to a 10mm edge. That 10mm edge is a repeated theme (also present at the ends of the elliptical stretchers), and comes up again in a short while.

[Image: Top18.jpg]

Now there is a part of the build which I have not mentioned. After assembly, there was a slight amount of movement which may be described as the top twisting. It was slight, far less than the trestle table on the patio which I built 25 years ago (which often seats 10-12), dismissed by my wife, but unacceptible to me in my hyper-sensitive state. What I realised was that the width of the uprights was sufficient to prevent downward movement when pressing on the table top edge between the two uprights, but pressing down at the corners forced a slight rotation, and this was experienced as the top twisting. Consequently, I decided to reinforce the top with bracing.

Now here's the dilemma - I did not want to ruin the slimless of the construction with braces which contrasted with the existing lines. I registered what many have done, such as adding angled sections or a rail between the two uprights. I could have added a second elliptical cross rail. I wanted none of that - the cracing needed to be invisible.

Cross bracing: this is in common use in building construction and is strong as it utilises triangulation in its design.  Here is what I did ...

The sections are 10mm thick and 50mm (2") wide. The 10mm thickness was chosen to align with the edge of the upper cross supports.

[Image: Top27.jpg]

The ends were dovetailed and glued ...

[Image: Top28.jpg]

[Image: Top29.jpg]

The cross centre is a lapped joint.

The final construction sits neatly under the table top, and is also screwed at the centre ...

[Image: Top31.jpg]

The result is completely invisible from the front of the table. The top of the table is now very rigid and without any appreciable movement at all. Not the slightest!
Smile

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(09-14-2024, 08:50 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: [Image: Top29.jpg]

You whacked out the mortises in the cantilevered beams, without bracing?  Brave man!
Most was first routered out with a trim router.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Derek, as usual your marvelous work is beautiful to behold.
Thank you very much for posting this build series.
World class indeed.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me