Free Alternative to Sketchup?
I've been using Sketchup Make (2017), but it keeps crashing on me.  Are most people using Sketchup Pro -- $119 per year for a subscription?  Or is there a good free alternative?

(09-14-2024, 10:11 AM)David Stone Wrote: I've been using Sketchup Make (2017), but it keeps crashing on me.  Are most people using Sketchup Pro -- $119 per year for a subscription?  Or is there a good free alternative?

It crashes on me now and then, too, for no obvious reason.  But I like SketchUp, and I like 2017 because it's not web based, so I just save my work often to avoid a big loss.  It actually doesn't crash all that often, so it's not a huge concern for me.  If it was crashing every week, I'd look to download a fresh copy.  If you haven't tried that yet, that may be something to look into.  

John
(09-14-2024, 10:11 AM)David Stone Wrote: I've been using Sketchup Make (2017), but it keeps crashing on me.  Are most people using Sketchup Pro -- $119 per year for a subscription?  Or is there a good free alternative?

Something else you may want to consider, is see if your computer meets the specs to run it well.

I don’t know much about sketchup, but I have had similar problems with fusion360 because the computer was having trouble with rendering images.

As John noted, downloads are available.  You likely have some corrupted files causing the program to have a brain fart.  Here's a CNET link to the download.  Worth a try.  

Edit:  note the text below the download, apparently there was a fix for crashing before they discontinued support in 2022.

https://download.cnet.com/sketchup-make-...57337.html
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis