Laser level??
A very good tip- makes sense!

(10-12-2024, 06:29 PM)goaliedad Wrote: A very good tip- makes sense!

Thanks. I learned to not have the laser set to the top of the cabinets from the coworker. He used his tape measure. I figured out that was too complicated. It's much easier and in my opinion more accurate to use the wooden block. I'll post a picture later today.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
I bought a cheap amazon unit for $50 in Mar 2023.  Looks like it is now $85.  (Thanks ever so much, Joe and Kamala.)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B379...UTF8&psc=1

It has been very useful for my indoor large master bath (300 ft2) remodel.  I used it to align studs, locate drain runs, mark the top plate for a stud wall on a sloped ceilling, get a relocated door opening perfectly plumb on one side so I could keep the opening to a minimum while max'ing space I needed for a new closet, plus several other tasks.  It has been a great purchase.  I attached it to an old cheap camera tripod and it works great with that.  Also used the adjustable platform and the magnetic mount.  All work great.  Two batteries included with recharger.  For my needs, will last a lifetime.  Given my remodel would easily cost 75K to 100K+ in my area, it is a drop in the bucket in terms of cost. 

As an aside, just to install 27 sheets of drywall, tape, mud and sand ready for primer would cost $6500 labor only.  I did it myelf for well under 1K including primer and ceiling painted.  And I think I did at least as good a job even though it took me longer as I am slow and steady, not fast.  1 week for a pro crew, three weeks for me alone with a drywall lift and a little help from my 93-yr-old FIL who loves running the lift.  

Entire job will be <20K when done and that is using very high-end finishes like Schluter shower system, lots of shower fixtures, porcelian tile, and epoxy grout, upscale hardwood, vanities, and lots of closet storage fixtures.  Was just looking to get a treat on the drywall job if only a few K, but ended up eating some dust anyway.  Just could not abide $6.5K plus materials.   I don't blame the contractros as their fixed costs are enormous and getting worse, but mine are so low
Smile it just does not make sense to sub out.
sleepy hollow

Consider you paid yourself $6500. That would be after tax pay.
You were paid well
VH07V  
(10-15-2024, 10:31 AM)EightFingers Wrote: Consider you paid yourself $6500. That would be after tax pay.
You were paid well

Indeed I was.  And yes, the tax advantage is great.  Though all I ever think of is my grandchildren and passing it on them rather than to a subcontractor.  

Heck I don't need much to to live just fine.  We don't even need the home we have now except my wife's parents live with us and it makes for a nice personal assisted living home for them with room for us to hide away when we need a break.  When they pass on, we'll be moving on - assuming they go first of course.  

In the meantime I have a bathroom to make spectacular for the next family.
Smile  

Cheers.
sleepy hollow