Post pics of your homemade tools
No argument here regarding the importance of timely doses of caffeine.....but isn't that coffee cup sitting on the BENCH? Once again, the bench plays a critical role!

titanxt said:

BaileyNo5,

I will respectfully have to disagree... The most important tool in the shop would have to be the coffee cup - without it you would not be able to hold the coffee....

True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools
Very well spotted!!!

Andy
I am quickly realizing that I have NO natural talent... But I am trying to fake it.
I'm a little late to the party. So many good ideas in here.

Got a lot of user made tools, so I will be selective. This first is not really a tool, but a recent build to hold tools off the bench. The bottom pic is one of my most used tools, the panel gauge. The pencil is when I don't care about accuracy, and I have a scoring attachment for when I do.

titanxt said:

BaileyNo5,

I will respectfully have to disagree... The most important tool in the shop would have to be the coffee cup - without it you would not be able to hold the coffee....

......... that's a great line. I usually just take water with me when I am out in the shop.

Steve
I modify tools as needed to get a job done but here are a few I made.
Adjustable marking gauge for planking.

A little bronze hammer.

At the risk of outing myself here is a router plane.

A small bench to work on inside a boat.

A couple of knives.

A handheld drill chuck.

A sine bar for setting precsion angles in the table saw.

And a workbench.

I'm sure there are others but no photos yet. Many tools re-handled.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
Boatman53 said:

At the risk of outing myself here is a router plane.

Jim

Yup, you did it, although i was pretty sure you were the Secret Santa. The wood, craftsmanship and the return address had me convinced.

And the plane is beautiful! It is so nice I don't want to take out from under the tree. Thanks again!
Often in Error, Never in Doubt
Mike Jury

Many thanks to all who have posted pics of your inspiring craftsmanship. Much appreciated!!

Quote:

A small bench to work on inside a boat.

Jim, what are the dimensions of that bench, please? TIA.
"For true creativity, we have to think beyond our tools." - MsNomer -
"Measuring is the enemy of precision." - Chris Schwarz on story sticks -
"only one opinion counts, the one that pays." - daveferg -
I made these for my SS recipient this year. They are cocobolo handled screwdrivers, using the Lee Valley lifetime screwdriver shafts. The ferrules are 1/2" brass plumbing couplers.

Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Awesome thread!!! Thanks for thinking of this.

Even seen the spokeshave I received last year from my SS.
Sticks head in.......Looks around..........Sniff, Sniff.....It's good to be home . McApple 7/29/10

Metal chairs have no soul. patriarch 12/07/2013

Here are a few more ...

Joinery saw (11") and Carcase saw (14"), both crosscut:

Jarrah brace and driver in presentation box (with drawer for bits) ...

A mallet for mortice chisels ...

Chip carving knives (made as a gift) in a presentation box ..

Many, many marking knives and scratch awls ..

More later.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com