Post pics of your homemade tools
Bruce Haugen said:

It's like bringing a howitzer to a knife fight.

See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
Bruce Haugen said:

[blockquote]Blacky's Boy said:

Did you REALLY need to do that?

That's like bringing a gun to a knife fight.

Uffda, Wayne! That's incredible!

(and for those of you not from MN, Wayne knows what "uffda" means)

[/blockquote]

A lightsaber to a blaster battle. To borrow a phrase, "An elegant plane for a more civilized age."
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Bruce Haugen said:

Eerie!
Here's my bow saw that I just finished up tonight:

Very nice bowsaw.

Was this a kit or did you built all the parts yourself?

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Derek Cohen said:

Very nice bowsaw.

Was this a kit or did you built all the parts yourself?

Regards from Perth

Derek

I purchased the pins for holding the blade, but made everything else myself. I used the plans from TFWW for the pattern.

The saw is (obviously) curly maple. The knobs are turned from curly Makore.

Jeff
Nice work, Jeff!!!!!
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I know the title says show your homemade tool, and they will be some of you that think I bought this in a high end store, but I honest to god made it myself - who else would cut a dado too wide for the nicker, patch it, and then cut another dado for the knicker - also, you have to admire the lever cap - that, together with the sizing of the top of the wedge for the knicker is some of my best work. Actually, despite its homely looks, it works okay, especially with the LV inspired set screws to get the dovetail iron and the knicker iron to line up just right

barryvabeach said:

Actually, despite its homely looks, it works okay, especially with the LV inspired set screws to get the dovetail iron and the knicker iron to line up just right

Not every tool has to be a piece of art. If it does what you need it to do, I'm happy to see it. Nice work.
Here is a mallet I made some time back and my first attempt at a Krenov style plane.

The mallet is just like the one Roy Underhill described on one of his recent shows. Made from some red oak I cut out of an old (75-85 years) barn.

And my first attempt at a smoothing plane. Using a 2" Hock iron and chip breaker, same reclaimed red oak, and walnut for the wedge and cross pin. I chose to bed it at about 50 degrees figuring I already have a well tuned No. 4 for easy stuff.

I decided to use a square cross pin. I measured wrong however and didn't take into account the chip breaker. So as you can see here I had to notch it to allow room for the wedge. I beveled the sides of the wedge to fit. The cross pin isn't glued in, but it locks in place by the wedge. I like this as it all fits like a puzzle.

I was a little worried it wouldn't be strong enough. It started out 1/2" square but now is down to 1/4" thick in the center. It seems strong enough though and the wedge is hitting it pretty evenly which should spread out the pressure.

I'm not sure if it's done yet. I kind of like the roughed in look. I think it needs a little more horn on the front so I have something to grip.