Frog Angles...
Good luck
titanxt said:

Corneel, great video! I love to see videos and pictures of fellow Woodnet members in their shops. I will sharpen up my blades again and set that chipbreaker as close as I possibly can and give that a try thins morning.

Thank you all!

Andy

It will take both - chipbreaker set very close AND very sharp blade. If either isn't right, you'll still get tearout. Frankly, you don't need a tight mouth if the first two criteria are met. And don't try to hog out thick shavings. Keep them wispy thin.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Freshly sharpened blades, slight skew at times, very light shavings, and a card scraper saved the day... I will post some pictures on my "Hand Tool Cabinet Building and Planning" thread.

Thank you all!

Andy
I am quickly realizing that I have NO natural talent... But I am trying to fake it.
titanxt said:

Freshly sharpened blades,...

Andy, What is your sharpening routine? What is your final honing grit?
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
"The ruler trick" that Charlesworth uses will get you a raised cutting angle quick and easy. The Veritas MKII has a really nice back bevel feature as well.

The ruler trick is also handy for getting into fresh iron on a pitted iron back without all the painstaking flattening to otherwise remove it.

Kansas City Fireslayer said:

"The ruler trick" that Charlesworth uses will get you a raised cutting angle quick and easy. The Veritas MKII has a really nice back bevel feature as well.

The ruler trick is also handy for getting into fresh iron on a pitted iron back without all the painstaking flattening to otherwise remove it.

At best, the ruler trick might add 2 degrees to the effective cutting angle. For really gnarly woods, if you're going to attack it with cutting angle, I think you need a 55-62 degree cutting angle. That would be a pretty severe back bevel, requiring a pretty thick ruler.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Currently, I am using a Worksharp 3000 and going up to 1500-grit. I finish by running the blade over a piece of MDF with the .5 micron green crayon from LV. If done correctly, I get hair-popping results.

Andy
I am quickly realizing that I have NO natural talent... But I am trying to fake it.
Quote:

If done correctly, I get hair-popping results.

It's easy to pick out a woodworker when you shake his hand and notice a hair-less swath on his forearm.
~Dan.
titanxt said:

Currently, I am using a Worksharp 3000 and going up to 1500-grit. I finish by running the blade over a piece of MDF with the .5 micron green crayon from LV. If done correctly, I get hair-popping results.

Andy

Assuming you're taking the wire burr off the backside of the blade, that's adequately sharp. The only other thing I would suggest is taking your chipbreaker and seeing if the angle where it mates with the blade is less than 30 deg. You want it to be pretty steep - like 50 deg. You really want that chipbreaker to turn the shaving almost to the point where it's being directed to the front of the plane.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I should have said that I am using Hock blades and chip breakers.

Andy