Nomorobo works!
If you're plagued with robo calls, you might consider Nomorobo. I was only recently able to hook it up (long story, involving Time Warner; my land line provider). but it's free and works as advertised. I realize I'm one of the 6 people left in the country without a cell phone and still using a land line...but this has really solved some problems. Truth in advertising: there was one robo call still getting through, I reported it to Nomorobo, but I also blocked it with TW. Nice thing is it seems to block the political calls as well (so far).
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I had actual people call me even after I put my number on the do not call list. They persisted on calling me all hours of the day & night.
I finally took care of them once & for all.
I'd see their number on the caller ID & blow a police whistle as loud as I could directly into the phone when I answered it.
After 3 or 4 times of doing that, the calls magically stopped. Someone told me that was illegal & I told them they were full of chit because I can do anything I want when someone else calls me. Now if I call someone else & I blow a whistle into the phone, that's illegal.
fredhargis said:

I realize I'm one of the 6 people left in the country without a cell phone and still using a land line...

Look into cell phones. Aside from the fact that I almost never get robo calls on my cell phone, I can just tell my phone to block the numbers from the calls I do get.
crokettâ„¢ said:

[blockquote]fredhargis said:

I realize I'm one of the 6 people left in the country without a cell phone and still using a land line...

Look into cell phones. Aside from the fact that I almost never get robo calls on my cell phone, I can just tell my phone to block the numbers from the calls I do get.

[/blockquote]

That's no cure-all. I get robo calls on my work issued cell phone all the time, for some reason it has gotten worse this past year. Everytime I block that number, they call from a different number, but the same scam about vacations, etc.

We also still have a landline, need it for the DSL and we live in a rural area with spotty cell service. Been on the DNC list since it went into effect, still get an occasional robo call, but no nearly as often as on my cellphone.

Paul
Paul
They were right, I SHOULDN'T have tried it at home!
pprobus said:

We also still have a landline...
Paul

I do too. They keep wanting me to switch over to FIOS, because Verizon is trying to close all their battery substations that keep the phone network up & running.
I told them I was on to them about 12 years ago.
Sorry Verizon, you're going to have to keep those batteries up for another 50 years or so. Get used to it.
I am grandfathered in & there's nothing they can do about it.

BTW, if you have FIOS & the power goes out, you only have about 3 hours of reserve power for your phones.
I have unlimited power, because I have a landline.
Back in 2002, our power went out for over 10 days, due to a hurricane.
I still had a dial tone after that 10 days. Nobody else in my neighborhood did.
My phone goes to the answering machine after 4 rings. I always wait until just before the 4th ring before picking up the receiver. Nine times out of ten, if it is a robocall, it will have been answered by another party before I pick up.

It is no help when a human dials, but that is rare nowadays.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
It got to where I was answering the phone 8-20 times a day for these scam and tellymarket calls and I could feel my BP going through he roof.
I got the Digitone call blocker (Cable land line). I ended up having to block all area codes except the three in my area. Just blocking a number when it called did no good- there are hundreds of them.
When an unauthorized number or no number calls, the phone never rings on my end and on the 5th ring hangs up on them.
The disadvantage is having to tell long distance people you want to get through you need their number they use so you can enter it as unblocked.
If a number does call that gets through but hangs up without leaving a message three times, they are automatically blocked through the computer.
I use an answering machine 100% of the time on my land line. If you want to talk to me, you have to talk to the machine first. If I'm home and recognize who you are, I pick it up. Otherwise, you only get to talk to the answering machine.

John
My cell phone is way worse at getting telemarketers than my land line.

But my land line has privacy manager from AT&T as an option. Any call from a unknown name or number, AT&T intercepts and makes them state their name. Then it rings my phone and I get whatever they said and the option to connect them or hang up. have never had a telemarketer go through the process...proly because their automatic dialers don't know how to handle it.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

I do remember way back then, when the phone rang- it was someone you wanted or needed to talk to. There was no such thing as telemarketers or anything else.
So sad today so many people get paid for such a worthless and lowly job. I won't deal with any company that thinks it is ok to invade peoples space like that.