Mobile base for 14" Delta bandsaw
I just bought a used older model 14" bandsaw with the open base and would like to put it on a mobile base. What do you use? I've seen all the ones that Rockler or Woodcraft sell but figure I can make my own for cheaper. Any ideas?

Jeff
It's time for the patriots to stand up!
I suggest that you make your own out of 3/4 ply and 2 x 4's. Quick, easy, and cheap. I got my wheels from HF for the Griz 17 extreme BS. Works great. Use the savings to buy toys, er I mean tools.
Just 3/4 ply and four swivel casters works fine. Just as stable if not more stable than most of the aftermarket stuff from the shiny-cheap-thing stores.

Is it the original Delta base? If so it might be designed to have casters installed.
Whoa there. Stealth band saw gloat. Nice cast iron base.

I use the Harbor Freight moving dollies for mine. They sell for like $7 for the small ones and are more than sufficient to move a band saw.
I would make sure to use locking casters on it. Actually, I can't imagine having my 14" Delta on a mobile base unless the footprint was much larger on the backside, and preferably all around, to resist the potential to tip over. I have a piece of 1/4" x 4" steel attached to the left side of my base, at floor level. It projects out 6 or 8" both front and back and adds a lot of stability to the saw.

John
This is mine:
Pretty simple. I used wood inside the legs to stiffen it up as it flexed without it. I bolted the angle to the legs with a spacer between, which had one face angled to make the angle iron square to the floor. It was quick to make and is very stable.

Bob
Here is a picture of the saw. The old owner made this and it works okay but it needs to work better for my taste. It has steel casters on it now underneath that board.

" />
It's time for the patriots to stand up!